5 Free Things to do with Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Have you ever wanted to do something fun with friends, but didn’t have the money to go out? We have all been there. The following are FREE activities to do with friends!

Movie Night

Grab some friends, snacks, and blankets. Movie nights are the best way to spend Friday nights with your friends. All you need is someone with a Netflix account and somewhere to watch it. For my friends and I, we started a tradition of having a movie night every weekend. It’s an easy way to save money while also checking movies off of your watchlist!

Volunteering

Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community while also spending time with friends. Animal shelters are great organizations to grab a group of friends and volunteer at. Being able to be with friends as well as cute animals is a great way to spend your free time. The Humane Society Animal Shelter in Christiansburg is always looking for individuals to stop by and play with the animals.

Hiking

Want to spend more time outdoors? Hiking is the perfect mix of exercising while also being with friends. Blacksburg is full of hiking trails that are filled with beautiful scenery. One of the most popular trails is the Cascade. This trail is a four-mile hike that leads to a waterfall. Now is a great time to go; grab a jacket and take in the beautiful changing leaves. If you want a more challenging hike, Dragons Tooth is one. The difficult hike is worth it in the end by being able to see the amazing view.

Game Night

Grab some classic board games like monopoly or clue, or card games such as Cards Against Humanity. No matter what game you play, it’s a fun way to spend your night and destress. You could even hold tournaments and compete against each other for a prize. This will keep everyone engaged and excited to play. Not into board games? Then think about doing a video game tournament. Bring some snacks and you got yourself a fulfilled night full of friendly competition and laughs.

Karaoke Night

Love to sing? Karaoke night is a fun way to dance along with friends and sing your favorite songs. You don’t even need a karaoke machine to do this activity; just play songs on a platform of your choice and sing your heart out.

There’s always something to do around your area! Just snag some friends and some free time, and you’re good to go! 

Kate Renz

Virginia Tech '22

Public relations major minoring in cinema. In my free time, I love to spend time with friends and watch movies!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.