Life > Experiences

5 Dinner Party Ideas for You and Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Whether you’re a senior about to graduate or a freshman just getting into the swing of things, one of the things we can all appreciate is the nights we spend with our friends just chatting and laughing about nothing, yet everything. Spur of the moment plans are always fun but to spice things up here are some easy dinner party ideas that you can host for you and your friends to spice things up — especially because a theme is always fun.

Childhood nostalgia

In college we can feel ourselves being very nostalgic for missing our childhood. On the cusp of being thrust into “the real world,” going back to our childhood sounds like the best thing sometimes. For this party make it potluck style where everyone brings comfort food or their favorite childhood dish or snack. You can make fake place settings for everyone with sheets of paper and crayons, letting everyone draw cute doodles on their sheet and it makes such a cute memento to have afterwards. If you have a TV or computer nearby, definitely put on some throwback hits like listening to Hannah Montana or watching Barbie’s Dreamhouse. Be super creative and let your imagination run wild.

Best Chick Flicks?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Buena Vista Pictures, Flavor Unit Entertainment, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures
Sicilian summer

It doesn’t have to be summer to host a Sicilian summer themed party. Inspiration is all over TikTok and Pinterest and I cannot stop thinking about this theme. It’s so classy and relatively easy to make happen. The big keys are the mood lighting and background music for the perfect ambiance. Serve any pasta or seafood inspired dishes and make sure anything citrus is present for that ultimate summer feel. If you want to commit to the decor, bright colored dishes and settings are much needed as well as anything that gives off the same vibe as the coastal Lisa Says Gah print complete with gingham and bold colors.

Craft Night

This idea takes a little more planning but it can be as intense or as simple as you make it! From friendship bracelets to painting glasses to making clay coasters there’s so many different ideas out there. Each person can contribute a piece of the materials to make things easier and more collaborative. Go with simple snacks or pizza for dinner so everyone can focus on making a cute craft together. Craft nights can be extra fun because they switch up the usual dinner and chit chat and give an activity for everyone to do.

“Dress as…” nights

I’ve seen this idea in plenty of places but it would be so much fun to host a dinner party to this theme. Whether it’s dressing as your “type” or an A24 movie character or your favorite celebrity it adds a lot of excitement to a regular dinner party. Dressing up and getting ready is always so much fun and we only have a few times in our life to actually bring our favorite costumes to life so might as well make a night out of it. You can go all in and make the food cater to what the theme or you can go simple and order out — that could even be on theme, it’s all what you make it.

Holidays

No matter what holiday it is, doing a little celebration with your college friends will always be so much fun. Before Halloween you can have a fall themed party with apple cider and other fall fare. Or you can have a Friendsgiving and make it potluck style with everyone joining in. For the holiday season in December everyone can make or bring themed cookies and sweets to share. Every holiday there’s an idea. Taking the time out to plan and celebrate the holidays in college makes it so much more enjoyable especially when it feels like we’re just flying right by and aren’t enjoying them as much as we used to.

Sylvia Mack

Virginia Tech '24

Sylvia is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Communication with a double minor in Sociology and Event and Experience Management.