Life > Experiences

5 Culture Shocks I Experienced When I Came to Virginia Tech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s almost the end of my first year at Virginia Tech. It was a long year, but wow, it has been something special. A little background on me; I am the first of my generation to go to college, and when I accepted my offer to Virginia Tech, I did not even know where Blacksburg was. It was an interesting decision because I accepted the offer on a whim. Luckily enough, my mom thought it was the best decision I had ever made. See I had zero expectations of college, but for some reason, what actually transpired could not have been anything I predicted. So to celebrate surviving the year, here’s a compiled list of the five biggest culture shocks I experienced when I arrived at VT.

You have to walk EVERYWHERE

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a walker. I have never been. When we had the PACER test in school, I would literally cry my heart out so I would not have to do it. The way I am heaving from walking to Squires from Derring Hall — I should have expected this when I heard Virginia Tech was out in the mountains. At least we have the bus systems that allow me to go off campus, and after this year I promised my mom I would get my license… because this? Yeah, I am not suffering from walking next year. Walking is rough, but it has given me the opportunity to take deep breaths and dedicate free time to myself. While walking is still long and hard, I did build up endurance by going on a walk every night. These walks being for me — not because of clubs or schools or anything else — just me.

mAKING fRIENDS IS HARD

I am extroverted to a fault. My loud and energetic personality can be harsh. But no matter where I have gone, I have always made a friend or two. Here though? A different playground. Everyone was so different from me here — I did not know how to connect. The people I did become friendly with were more like acquaintances who wanted to only talk about school or hang out doing the same things over and over. I wanted the deep connections I used to have, but here? I was starting from scratch. It bothered me at first because I would try SO hard to make friends, but once I stopped trying as hard and kind of kept to myself, the second semester I made many stronger connections.

You can have classes past 2 p.m.

When I got my schedule for the first semester and saw a class starting at 5:30 p.m. that ended around 6:40 p.m., I was like, “This can not be real.” In middle and high school, I got out at 2 p.m. So having this new class and getting out when it is dark? I was like: this can not be. I was so distraught, and the fact I never fell asleep during that class was a wonder. Before I came here 5:30 p.m. was nap time — now? No naps in college for Brooklyn. But I do not mind these late classes because I am on the academic side, which is close to Turners. Since it’s convenient, I have dinner at Turners — that is a win in my mind.

Laundry and Vending Machine funds aren’t from your Hokie P

I thought when I got my Hokie P, I had funds that could be used for anything. So I used it like a debit card. First week? Oh, there was nothing I did not spend it on. But, once my laundry piled up, I had to do laundry. Imagine my surprise that it said I had no money. I rushed to my friends and asked what I did wrong; they laughed and said I needed to add money. Why in the world did it cost around four dollars to pay for a load of laundry? And yes, that counted for both wash and dry. That is ridiculous. And do not get me started on the vending machine prices. I thought vending machines would be paid for with my dining dollars, but I guess not. So all the Skittles, Powerade and Aquafina I spent my money on every day, were causing me to waste money I needed to do my laundry. This was a fun little experience — but hey, at least I know now.

Joining clubs will help you immensely.

Now back in high school, I was all about being social and joining clubs, but my classmates? Eh, not so much. Many of them would look down on clubs or call them cringey — but here? The clubs are fantastic and vary in topics. Heck, there is even a club where you talk about your love for milk. There is something for everyone. Also, it gives you opportunities to gain new skills or volunteer experience from within these clubs. Not to be corny, but these clubs make families, and honestly? It gave me something to do when I was stressed out and wanted to try something new.

Virginia Tech shocked me to the core, but it also gave me the ability to adapt and experience something outside my comfort zone. The school prepared me to try new things, and because of it, next semester I get to spend my time at Disney. I hope you enjoyed this article and I suppose I will see you all next year.

Brooklyn Harris

Virginia Tech '26

Greetings everybody! My name is Brooklyn Harris. I am currently a Sophomore at Virginia Tech who is majoring in Geoscience. The goal here? It's for me to share all kinds of stuff with an amazing audience like yourselves ;) Anyway, I am graduating in 2026 so that is super fun. I don't know what else to say except, I hope you enjoy my content? Thanks for reading :D