5 College Vacation Ideas on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

College can be a weird time – you’re in the middle of being an adult and teenager, so the idea of taking your own full-fledged vacation can seem weird, since, well…you don’t quite have the budget or time during the school year to spend ten days in the Bahamas. Many collegiettes are faced with the issue of funds though, since you are a full-time student. However, this age can be a great time to start making your very own plans to take a getaway with your friends. These tips are aimed to help that, with giving informative advice on the best ways to travel on a budget!

1. Stay in-state

Staying within the same state you attend college could be a possible way to save money. Look into deals for student discounts and lodging/deals sponsored by your university. This option is also a better idea because it is less miles to travel, and therefore, cheaper, since you can probably drive rather than taking an expensive flight. Have everyone you are traveling with chip in on gas and the load will be lighter for everyone! The app GasBuddy is great for checking out the best gas prices near you. It can be toggled to see gas stations by map area, or a list, based off of distance or lowest price. The app is updated by the user base, so it stays up-to-date and comprehensive, to the point where it will tell you if a gas station takes only cash!

2. Explore your hometown area

This idea can be fabulous because again, you won’t have to travel as far, but also, you will get to see a whole new view of the area you are from! Pick a historical site, or perhaps a well-known tourist area near you, and make a trip of it. You will save on the miles traveled, but also get the chance to foster some newfound appreciation for something great, right in your backyard.

3. Use AirBnB

This tip should be universal by now, but is also so underrated! AirBnB is great for regular vacationing, because hey, it’s a place to stay. However, AirBnB is also a fantastic traveling option because it’s usually much cheaper than a traditional rental or hotel, and can give you more insight about a destination. The individuals and families who usually own AirBnBs can give plenty of personalized advice regarding restaurants, attractions, and the best local spots. You will see a new place through the lens of an expert, but for a fraction of the price. Good deal? I’d say yes.

4. Choose less in-demand weekends

The mistake that so many people make when traveling is choosing to go during a peak time in the season or during a holiday – don’t make this mistake. Be sure to look into events and major holidays celebrated at your choice destination, and make the decision based off of that. Price rates for rentals and AirBnB rooms will soar during the fourth of July and Memorial Day, so beware, and plan in advance. Unless, of course, if you are going for that sole reason… in that case, make the best of it and find less-crowded spots in town to visit!

5. Be flexible and have patience

The best thing to keep in mind is to remember that your planning will pay off. No vacation ever ends up being exactly what you expect, so take a deep breath and don’t stress too much over the preparation. Your friends will appreciate you taking the time to coordinate everything and make it the best trip possible. Keep your eyes on travel sites and AirBnB listings to score the best deal possible. Be flexible on your travel dates and your patience could be rewarded with a lower rental rate.

Planning a major trip as a collegiette can be a real eye-opening experience, but it is definitely one worth having! Taking your own vacation with friends can give you newfound independence and also help you learn what works best for the future. Good luck with your trip planning and safe travels!

Image Sources:

Image 1 / 2 / 3

Kaitlyn Horinko

Virginia Tech '19

Kaitlyn can usually be found 15 minutes early to wherever she's going, with Starbucks in hand. She is passionate about social media and finding new ways to advocate for mental health, and enjoys making playlists, road trips, and writing in her free time.
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.