This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

One of my many New Year’s resolutions is to read more. I know, how original. Seriously though, reading can only help you. It can relieve stress, broaden your vocabulary and provide some much-needed entertainment. From romance novels to books about mental well-being, here are five books that I’m excited to read this year. 

It Ends With Us By Colleen Hoover.

If you haven’t heard of Colleen Hoover, have you been living under a rock? I have yet to read one of her books, but I know I have to at some point. There must be a reason that every teenage girl is wrapped around her finger. This is the most popular Colleen Hoover book, and the story will soon be the basis for a movie starring Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni. I won’t lie, one of my primary motivators for reading this book is the fact that I can watch the movie after. 

Beach Read By Emily Henry.

I’m definitely guilty of gravitating toward a book with a pretty cover. So, yes, this rom-com originally grabbed my attention because of the aesthetic cover, but it seems to be an amazing read as well. The story revolves around two writers who struggle with horrible writer’s block. I think I could relate to this book a lot and will end up loving it. 

Spare By Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex.

Something has always infatuated me with the royals, especially with Princess Diana. After religiously watching The Crown and various Meghan and Harry interviews, I knew I wanted to read this book. This memoir is a Prince Harry tell-all, and I’m very intrigued. 

The Highly Sensitive Person: How To Thrive When The World Overwhelms You By Elaine N. Aron.

If you know anything about me, it’s that I’m beyond sensitive. So when I saw this book, its title immediately drew me in. Rather than dwell on your sensitivity, the book helps you to appreciate your special tool and learn how to use it. It gives us like-minded people a sense of empowerment, and I’m excited to find it. 

Where The Crawdads Sing By Delia Owens.

Okay, I feel like everyone and their mom have read this book by now and have probably seen the motion picture as well. I’m not usually one for murder mysteries, but something about this book intrigues me. The book takes place on the coast of North Carolina, which brings fond memories for me as it holds a special place in my heart. I’m definitely excited to give this one a go.

Allera Bee

Virginia Tech '26

My name is Allera (Ally) Bee and I am a student at Virginia Tech. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio and I am studying multimedia journalism.