jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 5 Best Things about Fall to Get You in the Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It is a universally acknowledged truth that the world is at its absolute prettiest when it is on its deathbed.  Though I consider fall to begin the day I first see a leaf hit the ground, it doesn’t officially start until the Autumn Equinox, which occurs on September 22nd this year. To get you in the mood for the best four months of the year, here is a list of the absolute best things about, what is widely accepted to be, the comfiest season of all.  

1. The Air

There’s nothing like waking up to the smell of the fall morning air to keep your hands off the snooze button. It is fresh and crisp and smells unexplainably like comfort. if those are not enough, summer ending means you will not be sweating within the first five minutes of being outside. What a luxury.

2. The Festivities

As if Halloween and Thanksgiving were not enough, fall is riddled with traditions like hayrides, pumpkin patches and apple picking. These activities are generally inexpensive and always a great way to get outside with your friends.

3. The Clothes

Boots, scarves, sweaters, leggings, socks, gloves, vests, hats— they are like clothes with built in hugs. Fall means you finally get to break out your favorite pair of worn-in, yet still undeniably cute boots for the next few months. And while clothes are cute all year long, fall fashion has the unique ability to be incredibly cute and incredibly comfortable at the same time. And isn’t that every girl’s dream?

4. The Movies

“Halloweentown” and “Hocus Pocus” and Tim Burton, oh my! Grab your favorite blanket, some popcorn and some marshmallow-topped hot chocolate. From autumn romances like “You’ve Got Mail” to Halloween classics like “The Nightmare on Elm Street,” chances are your favorite movies are going to be on TV during this season. And after your marathon, there is nothing like snuggling into bed with your favorite book.

5. The Leaves

The earth may laugh in flowers, but it smiles in autumn leaves. Any 10 foot space with a tree in it suddenly becomes a Microsoft screensaver. And every walk becomes a game to step on as many crunch leaves as possible. Props to leaves for looking so good while dying.

So grab a jacket and a PSL and enjoy your favorite things about fall!

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!