yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

4 Ways Stay Productive on Those Gloomy Fall Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We’ve all been there. We wake up, look outside at the gross, gloomy weather and want to crawl right back into our warm bed. Fighting that urge can be difficult, but these tips are bound to make getting your morning off to a productive start a little bit easier.

1. Plan out your goals

Set your priorities straight as soon as you wake up. Open up your notebook and make a list of all the things you want to accomplish. Be reasonable with yourself, don’t load too much onto your plate. No one likes ending the day with bullet points still left on their to-do list.

With this being said, don’t let yourself slack off because of the weather either. Find your balance and stick with it. Creating a list in the morning of goals you want to accomplish throughout the day is a great way to get yourself in the productive mindset.

2. Set the mood

This step is going to be different for each person, but for me, showering and getting ready for the day, making myself a hot cup of coffee and lighting some candles is how I get myself ready to focus and work. Figure out what will make you both comfortable and inspired to be productive and do just that!

Some music and a clean work space are also excellent ways to help get you into that productive mood. Just because the weather is rainy and gloomy doesn’t mean your space has to be!

3. Avoid distractions

Although gloomy days and Netflix go hand in hand, there is no way you will get anything done while binge watching your favorite show. Save things like social media and Netflix for after you finish what’s on your to do list. Use them as a reward instead.

If you’re anything like me, your phone is a huge distraction when it comes to being productive. If you have to, turn off your phone or put it on the opposite side of the room. You’ll thank yourself later.

4. Use the gloominess to your advantage

Just because the weather is gloomy doesn’t mean you have to stay inside. Pack up your things and head to the library or your favorite coffee shop to get things done. There is something so cozy about being inside of a coffee shop with rain falling outside.

Being around other people being productive might just be what you need to get the grind started.

Image source: Pexels.com

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!