20-Something Style Tips for a Twentysomething

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In the words of Yves Saint Laurent, “Fashions fade, style is eternal.”

What is the difference between fashion and style? Fashions exist for a short period of time with widespread adoption; style is a persistent way of wearing which is unique to the wearer and withstanding throughout the fashion cycle.

Your twenties envelop you in so many new experiences and opportunities for self-growth that shape you in ways you never foresaw– But you’re still figuring it out.

While managing the changing dynamics of college life, you may be coming into a more static, sophisticated style which will endure longer than a season or two. Below you will find tips which are noted from the most stylish dressers. Enduring much longer than the latest trend, these tips will carry you through the style identity crisis which comes with that okay-I’m-an-adult-now transition – otherwise known as your twenties.

1. Know your comfort zone, but consciously step out every now and then.

2. Don’t overthink your outfit– sometimes minimal is best.

3. Trust your instincts.   

4. Have a go-to outfit.

5. Have your signature piece of jewelry.

6. Own at least one high-quality pair of shoes.

7. Shop at a variety of places to get a unique wardrobe.

8. Clothe yourself in confidence.

9. Mix high and low pieces.

10. All black is always powerful and always chic.

11. Play with proportion when layering.

12. Develop an appreciation for fit and comfort.

13. Have transitional pieces (day-to-night).

14. Mix textures for a sophisticated look.

15. Have a style muse or style icon.

16. Basics are anything but basic.

17. Sexy doesn’t have to be overly revealing.

18. Invest in key classics.

19. Draw inspiration from everywhere.

20. Be bold in your statement.

21. Don’t live without a leather jacket or nude trench.

22. Find career-smart pieces for interviews, with the ability to be reworked into your wardrobe.

23. Big sunglasses are a must for concealing sleepy eyes.

24. Travel often, so you find out what you can’t live without.

25. Dress to express yourself and to disguise the mundane in everyday realities.

26. Monochromatic looks are very modern.

27. Master the arts of dressing up and dressing down.

28. Keep your life in your purse.

29. Most importantly, dress for yourself. Keeping true to yourself is the clearest transition into an everlasting personal style. 

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.