15 Discrepancies of a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

They say college is a time for self-reflection and seeing as we may be procrastinating— let us use this opportunity to reflect on the aspects of college life and being a student which make little to no sense. Don’t beat yourself up, because we can all relate to these frustrating discrepancies of being a college student. Sometimes we just want something to relate to. 

1.       Desperately needing sleep…

But somehow staying up really late.

2.       Being broke AF…

But somehow overspending.

(Basically I’m living off of direct deposits from dad.)

3.       Dressing well for a test or the first day of class…

But somehow settling into a routine of comfortable athleisure wear year-round.

(Basically, athleisure is a fashion trend describing athletic wear like running leggings or sporty sneakers that transitioned from gym wear to everyday wear.)

4.       Not really liking coffee at first…

But somehow developing an addiction poetically equivalent to pumping an IV of med-dark roast into your veins just to revive your depleted self from a long night of studying.

5.       Saying you’re never drinking again…

But somehow drinking again, probably by the next weekend.

6.       Feeling liberated from petty youth…

But somehow retreating back under your parents’ authority because being a twentysomething still feels vaguely similar to being a teenager.

7.       Wanting to go out and socialize…

But somehow regretting it and wishing for a night-in by yourself (and food and Netflix).

8.       Wanting to stay-in and be alone…

But somehow regretting it and wishing for a night-out with your friends.

9.       Having so many assignments to complete or exams to prepare for…

But somehow abandoning all responsibilities to contemplate your bleak existence.

10.   Figuring out how to efficiently manage time…

But somehow managing to completely lose track of time.

11.   Counting down the days till the semester ends…

But somehow having campus withdrawals almost immediately upon returning home.

12.   Developing a routine…

But somehow never really getting comfortable in the routine until the semester ends and being in that awkward transition.

13.   Saying you won’t procrastinate…

But somehow pushing a paper on the backburner until the night before it’s due.

14.   Maintaining a balance of schoolwork, social life and sense of well-being…

But somehow always compromising on something.

15.   Being really busy….

But somehow still making it all work.

We hope you have an amazing summer, and power through these exams Hokies! You got this. 

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.