This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We love our musical favs, but why not mix it up? Adding variety to your playlist might make you appreciate of your favorite artist and become a better music listener. Looking for some new music? Get inspired with some alternative albums based on the ones you already like.

If you like: 
Folklore- Taylor Swift
Try out:
 Songs- Adrianne Lenker
Taylor Swift folklore
Republic

Lenker and Swift are both incredible lyricists, as seen in their respective alternative albums. Like Folklore, Songs is emotionally complex and beautiful. It has a distinct authenticity and raw emotion only Lenker can produce. If you love Folklore, you’ll fall in love with this album and its beautiful, simple production.

If you like:
Harry’s House- Harry styles
Try out:
Dreamland – Coin
harrys house?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Harry Styles Harrys House Columbia Records

Coin and Harry styles both have a knack for blending pop and alternative styles. Coin’s latest album Dreamland is fun and exciting. A fresh take on classic pop!

If you like:
Guts- Olivia Rodrigo 
Try out:
Wet leg- Wet Leg

Like Rodrigo on Guts, Wet Leg speaks to their audiences with complete authenticity. The album is filled with fun, almost comical angst surrounding love. Plus, the tracks are catchy as hell.

If you like:
Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd- Lan Del Rey
Try out:
Titanic Rising- Weyes Blood

If you live for LDR’s melodic, retro sound, then you will love Titanic Rising. The album takes listeners on a beautiful emotional journey filled with ballads. Get ready to cry.

If you like:
The Record- Boy genius
Try out:
 Capacity- Big Thief

While Big Thief falls more into the rock genre than Boy Genius, both groups share incredible lyricism, vocals and instrumentals. Big Theifs music is riddled with beautiful prows and a gripping, emotional yet fun sound.

If you like:
The Bends- RadioHead
Try out:
Skinty Fia- Fontaines D.C.

If Radiohead and Mumford and Sons had a baby it would be Fontaines D.C.. Their instrumentals are alternative and experimental, but with a touch of folksy Dublin charm. They are in a league of their own, but Radiohead listeners will definitely enjoy their sound.

If you like:
Jubilee- Japanese Breakfast
Try out:
Yours Conditionally- Tennis

Tennis and Japanese Breakfast are both good at creating the most gut wrenching songs with the sweetest sounds. Jubilee is definitely one of JB’s more celebratory albums, and the same goes for Yours Conditionally. The songs are bubbly, retro and fun.

If you like:
Melophobia- Cage The Elephant
Try out:
Doolittle – Pixies

If you have any interest in Alternative music and you haven’t heard Doolittle, you’re in for a treat.  Melophobia and Doolittle are both exciting and a little insane (especially Dolittle). If you’re ready to go “What am I listening to… and why do I love it?” give this album a listen.

Allie McBride

Virginia Tech '26

Hi! I'm Allie from northern VA, and I'm an English major. I love baking, playing video games, and talking about the latest TV show I'm obsessed with. I love to dance and I'm always down for some arts and crafts.