10 Ways to Decorate Your Pumpkin for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

One of the best seasons for a college woman is fall, and in Blacksburg nothing beats going to the pumpkin patch at Sinkland Farms. Taking cute pictures with your best friends and your pumpkins, and carrying home your findings, just feels like a fall tradition done right. If you really want the full experience, the best thing you can do when you get home is put on your favorite Halloween movies, make some hot chocolate and start carving away at your pumpkin. Carving jack-o’-lanterns is a fall necessity that can be hard to achieve in a dorm, so decorating your pumpkin is an easy alternative. Rather than wasting time searching for ideas after your trip to Sinkland Farms, check out this awesome inspiration that will make your pumpkin unique!

1. Flaming Pumpkins

This look is awesome and sets the mood but is surprisingly unique.

2. Painted Design

Painting Pumpkins is extremely underrated. This is a great way to add color to your fall decor!

3. Day of the Dead Sugar Skull

Add some tradition to your pumpkin with a Sugar Skull design.

4. Marbled Pumpkins

These will hands down be the coolest pumpkins on the block, and they are ten times easier to decorate than you can imagine. All you need is some cheap nail polish, just follow the super short directions here!

5. Fall Phrases

Pick up some paint markers from Michael’s if you do not already have them, and write some cute sayings on your pumpkins to set the fall mood.

6. Stylish Carvings

Match your jack-o’-lantern to your decor! A nautical or preppy themed room could use these pumpkins.

7. Sorority

The best way to represent your sorority through your fall decoration is to put your letters on it.

8. Confetti

This is a trendy way to decorate your pumpkin with confetti that does not require a lot of work!

9. Fireflies

This is such a cute way to carve your pumpkin, especially if you are more a summer girl.

10. Donuts

The donut decoration is perfect if you are looking for something a little less heavy to carry that has unlimited potential punny Instagram captions!

Fall is such a fun time of year, so embrace the season in any way you can. Carve or decorate a pumpkin to bring a fall feel to your apartment or dorm room, and it will inspire others to do the same. Taking the hayride to the pumpkin patch with your friends and coming back to individualize your pumpkins to the sound of your favorite Halloween movies is the event of the season you cannot miss out on!

Image Sources:

Rep Image /1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12

A mechanical engineering sorority girl who will sprint across the drill field just to pet a dog.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.