10 Shows to Binge Watch During the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Winter is coming! It’s almost time to pull out our cute scarves and hats and shake the dust from our big fluffy parkas. Few people are brave enough to battle Blacksburg’s winter, and I admit I’m among those who cannot. I’d rather get in my comfy pajamas and watch TV all day long with a cup of hot chocolate. Here are ten TV shows to binge watch when it’s freezing outside!

1. “Game of Thrones”

Before I heard of “Game of Thrones,” I hated shows about kings, queens, dungeons, dragons and sword fighting. “Game of Thrones” has all of these things, but somehow it feels different. It may be the great actors or the fantastic CGI and editing, but “Game of Thrones” is a show that I guarantee everyone will love. It also helps that Kit Harrington is super sexy.

2. “Stranger Things”

Another show to binge watch this winter is a Sci-fi set in the 1980s. This may sound a little off-putting to some (including me when I first heard about it), but the show will suck you in straight from the beginning. It has monsters, superpowers and cute kids who are super badass! Who can resist?

3. “The Get Down”

If you like music, then you have to watch this show. Set in 1970s New York, this show is about the birth of the rap movement. The best part of the show is the music, hands down. I cried, laughed and cheered while watching this show. Also, Jaden Smith plays a character that you could arguably be himself if he was from the ’70s.

4. “Project Runway”

For all you fashion lovers out there, “Project Runway” is the show for you! I’m not at all creative, but this show makes me want to be. They even have a “Project Runway Junior” to make you feel a little bit worse about yourself. There’s nothing like watching a 13-year-old making a complete outfit in one day.

5. “Friends”

“Friends” is one of those shows that will always be a classic. Personally, I haven’t watched it all, but all my friends swear by it, so I might have to jump on board. The little snippets I have seen seem to be quite entertaining, so this one is at the top of my list.

6. “The Office”

It’s probably one of the funniest shows on the face of this Earth, even though it is set in the dullest place imaginable. What’s so funny about “The Office”? Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson. Also, Jim and Pam are so cute it’s almost annoying, but the good kind of annoying.

7. “Gossip Girl”

“Gossip Girl” is a show that never gets old, even though it makes me question fashion in 2007. However, the characters’ lives were so glitz and glamor that I’m willing to forgive and forget. I’m not sure if I would want to be either Blair or Serena, but I definitely want their wardrobe. Re-watching this show during the winter is a must.

8. “Gilmore Girls”

Who doesn’t love a show about a cool mom-and-daughter duo? It’s sweet but sassy at the same time; I think it would be cool to be friends like that with my own mother. Binge watch the seasons on Netflix so you’ll be caught up when “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” comes out on Nov. 25 of this year!

9. “One Tree Hill”

Another favorite of mine is “One Tree Hill”. The reason I like it so much is probably because Chad Michael Murray is so swoon worthy. *Sigh*.

10. “American Horror Story”

If you like scary then watch AHS. My particular favorites are season one, “Murder House”, because of Connie Britton and Even Peters and season three, “Coven”, because of Even Peters. If you like Even Peters, you’ll like American Horror Story. Another swoon.

Check out  these shows on Netflix when it gets cold outside. Queue up the TV and snuggle up with a bunch of blankets. Happy watching!

Image Sources: 

Game of Thrones | Stranger Things | The Get Down | Project Runway | Friends | The Office | Gossip Girl | Gilmore Girls | One Tree Hill | American Horror Story 

Rhana MItchell

Virginia Tech

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!