10 Last-Minute DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner and the rush to find a cute costume is in full swing. As college students, we don’t have loads of money to blow on a store-bought costume or tons of time to plan out costumes. If you’re like me and will wait until a couple hours before going out to put together a costume, these looks are for you! Here are a few of my favorite DIY Halloween costumes that are super easy to make with items you probably already have.

1. M&M’s

This costume is great to do with a group! Just dress in one color and add a paper “m” to your shirt. Walmart and any dollar store are great places to look for matching items in different colors.

2. Bank Robber

You can easily recreate this Party City costume with items you already own! Just throw on a black and white striped shirt, leggings and black shoes. Add black gloves and a beanie. You can make an eye mask by cutting two holes in a strip of black fabric. Carry around a sack with a money sign on it, or just stuff some fake money into your pockets!

3. Scarecrow

I love this costume! Put on jeans, boots, a flannel and a floppy hat. Add some scarecrow stitches to your face as well as a bright lip and you’re set!

4. Risky Business

I’d say this is the easiest costume on this list. You only need three things- oversized white button down, sunglasses and white socks. Definitely a fun one to do with a friend!

5. Alien

I love this comfy and cute costume! Just throw on anything green, add a gold necklace and tie your hair up in some space buns! Add some metallic or glittery face makeup to really get that outer space look.

6. Rosie the Riveter

I was Rosie one night last year and I got so many compliments! Again, super easy: jeans and a denim shirt, plus a red bandana. Put your hair up, add black eyeliner and a red lip and you’re set! Don’t forget to practice the pose!

7. Athlete

This is another great group costume idea! Everyone just needs a jersey- it could be baseball, football, basketball, anything! Add eye black, tall socks and converse. Top it off by tying a cute bandana in your hair.

8. Pineapple

Pineapples were so in over the summer, so why not be one for Halloween? It’s as easy as throwing on a yellow dress or oversized t-shirt and making a stem out of green construction paper. You’ll feel so tropical you might even forget that it’s freezing outside!

9. Zombie

Being a zombie is an easy option that is always cool. Grab a shirt and some leggings that are worn out and add rips and fake blood to them. Mess up your hair, add some zombie makeup, and you’re ready!

10. Fawn

I’ve seen tons of deer and fawn costumes on Pinterest and other social media this year. It’s actually a really easy costume- wear light neutrals such as white, cream or brown. Make a cute set of ears using pipe cleaners and a headband. Finally, create a fawn makeup look using face paints and eyeliner.

Happy Halloween Hokies!

Image Sources:

Evite / Party City / The Joy of Fashion / Popsugar / Instagram / Popsugar / Pinterest / Brit+Co / Pinterest / Evite

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!