This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, it is finally acceptable to fully embrace the holiday spirit. That means festive music, winter apparel and, of course, decorations. There is no better way to be festive than with a plethora of holiday decorations. So, here are 10 easy DIY holiday decorations to get you into the holiday spirit.

1. Snowflakes

This decoration is just a more advanced version of the snowflakes that you learned to make in elementary school. You will need printer paper or any paper that you wish to use. Personally, I like to use glittery scrapbook paper for my snowflakes. Then, you will fold your paper in half two times and simply cut it as you want. To get a more intricate design, you can use snowflake cutting templates online. Tip: put them on the window to make it look like it is always snowing outside!

2. Table centerpiece

You can put a variety of holiday related things in/on a bowl, cake stand, or platter that you already have! For example, you can put sparkly ornaments in a glass bowl with pinecones and leaves to create a stunningly simple centerpiece. 3. Christmas tree decorations

You don’t have to celebrate Christmas to have a Christmas tree. It can be a beautiful and eye-catching decoration that brightens everyone’s mood. Whether you get a real or an artificial tree, it can look great with some personalized decorations! Some ideas are buying clear ornaments and adding anything you want to them such as pictures of family, candy, glitter, fake snow, paint, etc. 4. Wreath

This decoration can be for both indoors and outdoors! Just buy a plain evergreen or stick wreath at your local craft store, some super glue and add any decorations that you want to it. You could add ornaments, pinecones, berries, lights, ribbons, fake snow, etc.

5. Twinkling fairy lights in a jar

Use small bulb, battery powered lights from the local dollar store and just put them in a mason jar or any glass container. It is really simple and brightens up the room. 6. Snow globe

This decoration seems difficult, but all you need is a mason jar, a figurine of your choice, glitter, fake snow, super glue and water (optional). You first glue the figurine on the lid of a mason jar and then add the glitter and fake snow into the glass jar. Next, fill the jar with water (if you want it) and set it down. Finally, put glue on the lid and bring the lid to the jar. Try not to move it until the glue is completely dry to prevent any water spilling out. If you are making your snow globe without water, just glue the figurine on either the lid or in the glass jar and then add the fake snow!

7. Banner

This one can be easily created by cutting holiday-themed scrapbooking paper into individual letters and then hot gluing them to a string of yarn! If you are having trouble drawing your letters, you can write in your favorite font in Microsoft Word, enlarge the words and then use it as a stencil to get perfect and uniform letters. Also, if you don’t have any glue, poking holes at the top of your letters and putting the yarn through that way also works well! 8. Sweater koozies

For this decoration, use either an old sweater that is laying around your house or go to the local thrift store to find one. You will want to mostly use the fabric of the sleeves and around the head hole to wrap your items. Also, use a hot glue gun to get the best results.   9. Holiday Card Display

Use past holiday cards that you have received, buy some at the store, or print them from online for this decoration. You will also need a ribbon and some tape. Feel free to get creative and put your cards anywhere in the house such as on the wall in the shape of a tree, stairway, an old window pane, etc. 10. Chalkboard

All you need for this one is some chalkboard paint, chalk, a small rope, a holiday-themed wooden cutout (if you can’t find at your local craft store then a picture frame will look just as nice) and some glue. If you use a picture frame, take out the glass and paint a piece of paper to put into frame.

These decoration ideas will surely bring the holiday spirit to your home. If you make any of these, make sure to share a picture with us on instagram @hercampusvirginiatech! Picture credits: Snowflakes/Centerpiece/Ornaments/Wreath/Lights/Snow globe/Sweater koozies/Card Display/Chalkboard    

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!