Top Christmas Movies to Get You in the Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Once the last plate of stuffing and turkey leaves the table, the Christmas season officially begins for families all across America. Along with the dropping temperatures, peppermint flavored Starbuck’s drinks, and the increase in cookie consumption, the season also brings with it hundreds of Christmas themed movies to be watched. Family tradition plays a big part in which movies are put on during this time, leading everybody to have many different favorites.  So in accordance with my personal upbringing, here are a few of my favorites separated into my top three classic Christmas movies and top three modern Christmas movies.

First up is the extremely classic 1946 film, It’s a Wonderful Life. One of Frank Capra’s many masterpieces, the movie follows the story of George Bailey, a Bailey Building and Loan Association employee, who in an interesting twist of events leaves the company bankrupt. Feeling hopeless and depressed, Bailey finds himself ready to jump off a bridge, when an angel visits him and proceeds to show him how terrible everyone’s lives would be if he was never born. This uplifting movie helps put life’s everyday struggles into perspective when shown how little they matter in the grand scheme of things. The movie is always aired on Christmas Eve on NBC.

[pagebreak]

Next on the list is the stop motion animated made for TV movie, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The Christmas special first aired in 1964 and continues to air on several channels including ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas. The film follows the famous character of Rudolph, a reindeer born with an irregular red nose, and his struggles with not fitting in in his community. After meeting another misfit, Hermey, an elf who really wants to be a dentist, they both decide to leave their unaccepting societies and travel to the Island of Misfit Toys, where a group of unwanted toys live. However after a heroic act brings him back home, Rudolph is eventually accepted by his family and is given the job of guiding Santa’s sleigh on Christmas Eve, spreading the important message of individuality and non-conformity.

[pagebreak]

My last favorite classic is the Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas TV special. The 30 minute animated adaption of the infamous children’s book first aired in 1966 and can be found on many different networks now during November and December. The Grinch, a creature living in a cave above the town of Whoville, has spent his whole life despising Christmas and finally decides to relinquish his anger in a plan to “steal” the holiday. Having successfully stolen all their presents and decorations he waits to hear their cries, but instead he hears them celebrating just the same. This leads him to realize that the true meaning of Christmas has nothing to do with the gifts and materialism. The film teaches a valuable lesson about the dangers of consumerism and that true Christmas spirit must not depend on just material items.

[pagebreak]

Every year, several new Christmas films make it to theaters, making a very large list to pick just three from. However, my first favorite is the 2003 British romantic comedy, Love Actually. Based in London, the film follows a large ensemble cast that delves into the different aspects of love for ten separate storylines. Although not all of the characters end up finding love, it succeeds in showcasing many of the different stages in a relationship, different levels of love or lust, and the importance of love and family during the holidays. The predominantly British cast, comprised of many esteemed actors like Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman, delivers wonderful performances and are sure to please many.

[pagebreak]

Next up is the 2003 comedy, Elf, starring Will Ferrell. This fan favorite tells the story of an orphaned human, Buddy, raised by elves in the North Pole and his journey to find his birth father. After landing in New York City, Buddy finds that his father is cynical and ill-tempered unlike his optimistic, self-less personality. However, through his stay with his father and his family, he manages to change the lives around him, spreading Christmas cheer to all those who need it. This funny, heartwarming film appeals to audiences of all ages.

[pagebreak]

Finally, my last favorite modern Christmas movie is the 2000 live action version of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The film stars Jim Carey as the Grinch, and it gives a more detailed account of the infamous character and his reasons for hating the Whos and the holiday of Christmas. For those who are wondering why I included both versions of this tale on my list, my reasoning is that both films share one of my favorite messages but in two completely different forms. The live action version is better for younger kids or those looking for more of a backstory and comedic relief, while the animated version provides more nostalgia and emphasis on the moral.

“Maybe Christmas, he thought… doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps… means a little bit more…”