New York Fashion Week Recap: Spring 2014 Best Trends & Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

The weather may be cooling down, but the fashion world is just heating up again as designer’s send their Spring 2014 lines down the runways.

The Spring 2014 runways feature minimalistic, classic looks, as well as mod-inspired retro styles. Generally speaking, designers stepped back from the eccentric, fantasy inspired looks that high fashion is so often criticized for. Instead, posh, pretty, and polished remained clear themes – yet also contrasted with a few collections, which featured “street looks” in a more edgy turn.

As far as colors, white, neutrals, global inspired prints, and sparkles all made appearances. See below some of our favorite runway looks from the week:

Ralph Lauren’s Spring 2014 Collection brought back the sixties in style. Most of his collection was black and white, and featured stripes, checkers, and floral prints. We love this mod printed dress, worn by model Vika Falileeva. 

Milly’s collection this year was inspired by a trip to Hawaii and Japan, which is apparent by her use of bright colors. She also chose to emphasize the hourglass figure, which is done by drawing attention to the waist in most of her garments.  Above, you can see a few couture inspired items in her collection. We particularly love the lattice inspired waist of the first outfit! 

Alice + Olivia’s Spring 2014 line focused on “preppy meets pretty”, and that is certainly evident in this piece. The polo paired with the elegant, full, and colorful maxi skirt creates the perfect combination and is certainly an eye-catching look. 

This look by Diane von Furstenberg shows off Spring 2014’s “sparkle trend”, yet pairing the shorts with a simple blouse makes the look minimalistic. Von Furstenberg called her show “Oasis” and we can see why: she featured animal prints, maxi dresses, orange and red color palettes, as well as sparkles.