Style > Beauty

My Makeup Routine as Someone Who Never Liked Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

I’ve never been much of a makeup girl. In high school, I would wear mascara once a week at most. It just felt like such a hassle to put on and take off, even though I did like the way it made me look. Of course, everyone is beautiful with or without makeup. But for anyone who isn’t a makeup person, these are my best recommendations for an easy and casual makeup look.  

You always need a good base.  

To start my makeup look, I always make sure to have a good base moisturizer so that my skin is protected. I always start with The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid to lock in the moisture, then I go in with a moisturizer. My current daytime favorite is the CeraVe moisturizer. I find that this combination keeps my skin hydrated all day long, no matter how much I put on top. For the best glow, I combine the Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Drops with my moisturizer as the perfect base for my makeup. Then, I’ll start my makeup look with the Rare Beauty tinted moisturizer. When I tell you this is one of the best products I’ve ever tried, I mean it. As someone who hates the cakey feeling of foundation but wants to even their skin tone, a tinted moisturizer is the way to go. I’ve found that the Rare Beauty tinted moisturizer is extremely lightweight, while still providing the coverage I need. On top of this, I’ll go in with the Nars Creamy Concealer. This concealer covers up any blemishes and also brightens up my under eyes.   

Adding back the color you lost.  

Though I’m not the most advanced makeup artist, I know that after my base, I need to add some color back to my face. My favorite contour stick is the Fenty Beauty contour stick because it helps define my cheekbones and jawline, without looking too unnatural. On top of this, I’ll use the Rare Beauty liquid blush and liquid highlight. Just one dot of each adds the perfect pink and sparkle to my face. As an added layer of depth, I’ll use the Benefit powder bronzer and blush set on top of my liquid contour. Not only does this contour and color even more, but it also helps set my liquid products into my skin. On top of all of this, I use the Laura Mercier setting powder. Adding a setting powder helps my makeup stay on for an entire day or night.  

Let’s make the eyes pop! 

My eyes are usually the simplest part of my makeup routine. I don’t have enough time or products to learn something like a smokey eye, so to spice up my eyes in the easiest way possible I use my Rare Beauty liquid highlighter. Yes – the same one I use on my face as highlighter. It works so well as both an eyeshadow and a highlighter! I frequently get asked what eyeshadow I use, and when people realize it’s a highlighter, they are amazed. To finish off the eye look, I always use the L’Oréal Telescopic Mascara. This combined with the highlighter brighten up and widen my eyes.  

Kisses <3  

The final touch to this “no makeup” makeup look is adding a lip color. My current favorite combination is the Glossier Balm Dot Com, in the shade Cherry. On top, for the perfect gloss, I use the Laneige Lip Glowy Balm. The two have a perfect pink shade with high gloss, while not being too sticky. However, I also will use the Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm, in the shade Brown Sugar, if I want a little bit more of a tint to my lip.  

Though this may seem complicated at first, to me it is the perfect “no makeup” makeup look, for someone who never wears a full face of makeup. All of this takes just 10-15 minutes and gives me a boost of confidence if I need it. We are all beautiful with or without makeup, but it never hurts to add a touch of glamour to your face!  

Tallulah Laska

Villanova '24

Tallulah loves all things lifestyle, health, and wellness. She is passionate self-love and prioritizing happiness. She aspires to be a physician so she can help people be the best version of themselves.