Meet Wawa Inc.’s CEO and President, Chris Gheysens ’93

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

I am so happy that I had the opportunity to speak with Chris Gheysens, Wawa Inc.’s “Lead Goose”or official CEO and President. Chris Gheysens is not only a very succesful businessman but also a dedicated husband, a caring father of four, and a proud Villanova alumnus.

Her Campus: Where are you from?

Chris Gheysens: “I am from Vineland, New Jersey. That is where I was born and grew up.” 

HC: What did you major in?

CG: “I was in the business school and majored in accounting. I graduated in the class of 1993. I then went on to get my M.B.A. at Saint Joseph’s University.”

HC: What were you involved in at Villanova?

CG: “I was a Pike, which I don’t know if they are an official fraternity anymore (laughs). Greek life was important, I had a great group of friends that I lived out in Wayne with when we were upperclassmen. I was involved with different campus events but most of my time was spent studying and having a little fun. “

HC: What is your favorite part about being a Villanova graduate? 

CG: “I love what Villanova stands for. I think Villanova’s reputation, not just the great academic reputation that Villanova has, Villanova is known for creating leaders, for creating people with high levels of values and ethics and people that are really smart. There is lots of evidence that these people do really well in life in all different fields”.

HC: What is your official position at Wawa? What is your favorite part of your job?

CG: “I think if you were to ask the chairman of the board, they would say President and CEO of Wawa. My business card would say “Lead Goose” because I am not big into titles. So, “Lead Goose” because the goose is Wawa’s mascot. The most fun part about my job is the level of responsibility. I mean that because I really enjoy trying to take care of 26,000 Wawa associates everyday, not just as employess of Wawa but as people. We really think and care about our associates, not just when they are working but when they are home. We care about what their life is about and try to engage them in many ways. We just have a special culture at Wawa that’s founded in a deep set of core values, and founded in people, its always about people first. My personal values line line up very well with Wawa’s values.” 

HC: What is your advice to Villanova Students?

CG: “After they graduate, don’t be afraid to work really hard and earn everything that you are going to deserve later in life. In order to find success in life, in my definition, you need to find a place that is very consistent with who you are as a person. And so wherever someone ends up, it may not be the place or company that they thought, but if they are in a place that lives and demonstrates their personal values and there is a lot of consistency there, I think that it is really important for people to believe. Along that journey, don’t be afraid to look at other opportunities and think about this question, is that really what I want to do based on who I want to be and who I am as a person? The best advice I could have given them, they took four years earlier, they went to a great school with a great reputation and internship programs. They have chosen wisely.”

HC: What is your favorite Wawa product or products?

CG: “One? I have many. Literally I just ate one bacon, egg, and croissant sizzler which is not the most healthy breakfast but it is delicious. I would say our egg white omelette with a whole bunch of veggies and chipotle sauce is my go-to meal. I am also a big signature Wawa coffee guy, I will drink other coffee but I always return to Wawa for the signature blend.”

HC: If you could have dinner with three people from the past, future, or present, who would they be?

CG: “Well I would have to say Pope Francis. I did have an opportunity to meet him this summer and I would choose him, not just because of his role but I really respect his style of leadership. I would have to do someone like Steph Curry, because my boys would think I am officially the coolest dad in the world. Now thinking of it, I remember when I wrote my application essay for Villanova, there was a question like this and I think that I said Abraham Lincoln from a leader standpoint. I still would choose him.”

HC: What is your favorite thing to do when you aren’t at the office?

CG: “Spending time with my family. My kids are extremely active in sports and for the first time ever, I have made some free time to volunteer as an assistant basketball coach.”

HC: What is your favorite T.V. show?

CG: “The Walking Dead. That is about the only one I watch when I have free time. I haven’t figured out the whole recording shows thing yet (laughs).” 

Claire Peck is a junior at Villanova University studying Economics. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Villanova which relaunched in January 2015. She studied in Barcelona for the fall semester and loves to travel. Follow her on instagram, @clairepeck