Meet the “Villanova Piccolo Girl”: Roxanne Chalifoux

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Well, we are all very familiar with Roxanne Chalifoux, the infamous Villanova band member, that was captured feeling the intense emotions of the basketball teams’ loss against NC State. Not only has this picture gone viral, but Roxanne even premeired on Jimmy Fallon’s The Tonight Show on Monday night. An average Villanova student turned into a national phenomenon! 

Her Campus: Where are you from? 

Roxanne Chalifoux: I’m from Peter’s Township, Pennslyvania. 

HC: What year and major are you? 

RC: I am a senior biology major. 

HC: Did you ever in a thousand years imagine you would be performing the Villanova fight song with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon?

RC: Absolutely not.  That was such an exhilarating opportunity that I never, ever believed would happen to me. 

HC: What was it like to have the opportunity to be on The Tonight Show?

RC: It was so much fun.  Jimmy Fallon and The Roots were the nicest, most welcoming people.  They, along with every staff member there, made me so comfortable being there.  It still feels like a dream.

HC: What is life like since returning to Villanova?

RC: Honestly, pretty normal.  But I like that.  I still have my classes and responsibilities on campus (like working in the marine lab and taking care of sea urchins).  It was nice to be in class today and get back in the swing of things. 

HC: What thoughts were going through your head at the game?

RC: When I saw I was on the megatron, I didn’t want my Dad to see me crying since he was at the game.  Then as it turns out, the megatron was the least of my worries.  I got a little embarrassed that everyone at the game saw, but I kind of had to get over that considering all the craziness that happened next.

HC: Other than the marching band, are you involved in anything else on campus?

RC: I’m a sister in Delta Gamma, and AED member, and a pre-optometry club member. 

HC: What was it like to meet Jimmy Fallon?

RC: Jimmy Fallon is as genuine and friendly as he seems on-camera.  He was exceptionally kind to me and made me feel so confident.  He kept reiterating how excited he was that I would be on the show, and I was like, “You’re excited?  Imagine how I feel right now.”  He was fantastic and truly one of the nicest people I have ever met.

HC: How have you been dealing with all the attention and publicity? What is your favorite part about it?

RC: I’ve just tried to stay humble and be myself.  I’ve tried to take it in stride and make the most out of it.  My friends and family have been so supportive of me, and they’ve really helped me through the stress and craziness of everything.  My favorite part would have to be how so many people have reached out to me and shown support.  People from Nova, my high school, and all around the country have been so kind to me, and I’ve really appreciated it. 

HC: What “famous” people have tweeted about it?

Deadmau5 tweeted about me and Bubba Watson tweeted his picture with me (with the caption #criers), so that was still pretty cool. 

HC: How is your family reacting to it all?

RC: My mom is definitely overwhelmed, but she’s so supportive.  My brother helped fight off a Twitter troll too which was awesome.  My entire family has been really wonderful.  They’ve encouraged me to enjoy the moment and just have fun with the insanity of it all.

HC: Are you usually outgoing or generally shy?

RC: I’m generally pretty shy.  I haven’t really minded this that much, though.  I’ve thought the situation was really funny overall.

HC: What are your plans for this summer? 

RC: Well, I’ll be heading to optometry school in August so being an optometrist I guess!  Or something where I can play with sea animals.  I love them (especially whales, manatees, and sea lions). 

HC: Has Jay Wright commented on all the attention you have been receiving?

RC: Jay Wright hasn’t said anything to me directly, but he did tweet about my appearance on the Tonight Show.  I also heard he “loved my passion and emotion” from a news source. 

HC: Who is your favorite Villanova basketball player?

RC: I could never pick!  I love how they all have such important roles that come together so well when they play.  I haven’t met all of them, but the ones I have met were very nice!

HC: What has been your most memorable moment at Villanova?

RC: I would say this has been my most memorable event at Villanova.  I’m not sure how it couldn’t be since I can’t open a computer without some sort of reminder.  Some others include band camp before each school year begins, traveling to two Big East Tournaments (and watching the Cats win one!), traveling to this year’s NCAA Tournament, and passing animal physiology.  

Claire Peck is a junior at Villanova University studying Economics. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Villanova which relaunched in January 2015. She studied in Barcelona for the fall semester and loves to travel. Follow her on instagram, @clairepeck