This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

This morning thirty-one people woke up and thought it was just going to be a normal Tuesday. They had a plane to catch, people to meet, and a whole life ahead of them. But today wasn’t a normal Tuesday.

Thirty-one people were killed this morning in two separate but coordinated attacks in the Brussels airport and subway.  These individuals never caught their plane, or will be able to live their lives as they had planned. So many lives have been turned upside down this morning and some will never be the same. Sadly, our world has been rocked by yet another act of terrorism.

This teaches us however, that we need to just simply be kind to one another. Smile at a stranger passing by you, compliment the person with the cute outfit on, invite the person sitting alone to eat lunch with you, leave your loose change in the tip jar, thank your professors for a great class, or say “Hi” to the shy person in your big lecture hall class. Just simply be kind.

Kindness changes everything. It might not be able to bring back the thirty-one lives lost this morning, but it can make someone’s day a little brighter and happier. It can bring a smile to someone who is sad or give confidence to someone that is struggling. An act of kindness, no matter how small, will never go unnoticed. It will always touch someone’s life in ways we might not ever know or understand. We can make a little difference in the world if we are all just kind to each other.

Hug your friends a little tighter, thank your mom and dad a little more, tell your siblings that you love them more often. They will appreciate it, they will love it, and they will cherish it. As Eeyore once said, “a little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.”

Go make a difference, be kind, love one another, and pass it on.