7 Places Anyone Studying Abroad in London Needs to Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

If you’re lucky enough to study abroad in London, take advantage of every day! The experience goes by so quickly, and in a city like London, there is more than enoguh for you to do! Here’s a list of 7 places that anyone studying abroad in London should take the time to visit. They might seem touristy, but they’re a lot of fun!

1. Buckingham Palace Okay, I know this is probably the number one tourist attraction in London, it’s #1 for a reason! It’s where Queen Elizabeth II lives (you most likely won’t see her there, but it’s still cool.) If you visit at 11:30 on every even calendar day, you’ll be able to see the Changing of the Guards, but make sure you get there early to get a good spot!

2. Big Ben

Again, another touristy place. But hey, it’s what you imagine when you think of London, right? It’s even better if you get the oh-so-popular photo of you standing in front of a red phone box with Big Ben in the background. Lots of Instagram likes, I promise.

3. Kensington Palace

Anyone who’s into the Royal Family has to visit. Although tickets are on the pricier side (but only £14.30 with a student discount,) you’ll get to see the inside of the palace where Prince William, Duchess Kate, Prince George, and Princess Charlotte live. You can also have high tea at the Orangery, which is in the formal grounds of Kensington Palace, and you’ll eat the best scones you’ve ever had in your life. 

4. The London Eye

Especially at sunset, even though clearly I didn’t go then! You can grab dinner along the Southbank (Wahace is delicious!) and then hop on the Eye for 30 minutes while getting an iconic view of the entire city.

5. Tower Bridge

Even though people think that this is called London Bridge, its actually Tower Bridge. And you’ll feel like you’re in One Direction’s “Midnight Memories” music video as you walk across the historic bridge and get to see all of Southbank.

6. Camden Market

This market is the market to visit if studying in London. There are over 1,000 vendors selling crafts, clothes, jewelry, and food from any country you could imagine (The Mac Factory is a personal favorite!)

7. Platform 9 and ¾ at King’s Cross Station

Calling all Harry Potter fans! Here, you get to take a picture as if you’re on your way to Hogwarts (your letter is coming in the mail, don’t worry!) You even get to choose which house’s scarf you want to wear, which is a very important decision.

London is a beautiful, historic city that has so much to offer. Whether it’s visiting a palace or spending the afternoon at a museum, London has something for everyone. 

Hi! I'm Elizabeth and I'm a senior at Villanova University majoring in Communication (Public Realations Journalism Specializations) and minoring in Spanish. If you don't find me listening to One Direction or watching Friends on Netflix, I'm probably taking pictures of my food or stalking celebrities on Instagram. I'm usually spotted wearing a flannel, lulu lemon leggings, and white Converse (when I say usually, I mean everyday.) Check out my Twitter and my blog!