3 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re an Only Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Being an only child gives you a much different perspective on some things than your friends with siblings. There’s moments when they say things that you can’t ever pretend to understand, and sometimes they feel the same way about you. Growing up without siblings can sometimes make you feel like you live in a totally different world, especially in college. Here’s 3 things that you’ll only understand if you’re an only child.

1. You need your alone time

When you got to college, you were probably a little overwhelmed by how much you were around people. Being an only child, you were used to things like being at home alone and doing things by yourself when your parents were out. Now, you’re always surrounded by friends and they don’t get why sometimes you just want to do something by yourself, like get a cup of coffee or watch netflix.

2. You don’t mind doing things by yourself

Your friends are always asking if someone can come to the gym with them, eat dinner with them, or study with them. While you like hanging out with your friends, you also don’t mind doing things on your own. You haven’t been used to having a sibling around all your life to tag along with you, so you don’t have an issue with going out on your own from time to time.

3. You can’t understand why your friends complain about their siblings so much

While you don’t necessarily mind that you grew up as an only child, you also can’t wrap your head around all the complaints you hear from friends about their siblings. They tell you that it’s annoying to always have a sibling around, or that they can never do anything unless their other siblings can also tag along. All you can think is how cool it would be to always have a friend, especially for things like family vacations and holidays when you’re always alone with your parents.

You love your parents and wouldn’t change your family for anything, but sometimes you stop to wonder what life would have been like growing up with a sibling.

Cara Milhaven is a sophomore studying communication at Villanova University. She is a contributing writer for Her Campus National as well as the Senior Editor of Her Campus Villanova. She loves caffeine, Christmas movies, fall, and Zac Efron.