Girl Lying On Bed Close Up
Girl Lying On Bed Close Up
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Style

Your Valentine’s Day Guide To Lingerie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Valentine’s day is the perfect time to get all gussied up for either yourself or your lover, and whether you plan on spending Valentines alone binging Netflix and eating popcorn with M&M’s or going to dinner and hoping to get lucky afterward, being able to pick out the right lingerie for yourself can make all the difference in terms of comfort and sexiness, no matter who you are getting dressed up for.

Despite what many people think, the ability to wear lingerie doesn’t depend on your body size or shape, and good lingerie can boost your confidence through the roof, even for the most self-conscious girls. I’m not saying you have to put it on and parade around in it all day, but being able to wear it for yourself and feel nice and sexy can really affect your confidence and make you feel like a bad b*tch.

Lingerie is for you, not your partner, not for anyone else, for YOU, so put yourself first when choosing lingerie and only wear what you feel comfortable in. Don’t force yourself into something that you obviously hate or that makes you uncomfortable because it’ll show.

That being said, don’t be afraid to be bold in your choices! Try a bright and vibrant color or a fun print that is something you wouldn’t typically go for, but you think is pretty! The bedroom is the perfect place to experiment with new patterns and styles!

Hands forming the shape of a heart
Pexels / ATC Comm Photo

Knowing the different types of lingerie is also very important to shop for sexy pieces. Garter belts, negligees and teddies are all different styles that appeal to various comfort levels, experiment with different styles or pick a style that you love and make it your go-to!

Also, don’t be worried about being going shopping for lingerie in public. Everyone wears lingerie and no one really cares if you are shopping for it. Plus, with more eCommerce services than ever, it’s easy to save yourself the embarrassment of going to a sex store or a lingerie shop to purchase intimates. You can simply do it from your couch! Or even better, you can try subscription boxes, like Adore Me, that will choose bras and panties for you and personalize your selections based on how you answer a few questions.

When shopping for lingerie, choose quality fabrics. It really makes a difference between high quality and low-quality intimate apparel. Just like you look for high-quality fabrics when shopping for everyday apparel, look for high-quality fabrics when shopping for lingerie. Better fabrics feel better and can also make you feel more confident when you know you have a quality garment on.

Don’t forget to take care of your intimates! Many sets can be ruined by putting them in the washing mashing, so either take the time to read the labels and learn what the wash symbols mean or handwash all your lingerie pieces, especially don’t put them in the dryer (you already shouldn’t be putting your regular bras in the dryer!) Taking care of your garments makes them last longer and worth the high price tag that many pieces go for.

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!