Yasmeen Lasheen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Yasmeen Lasheen

Age: 18

Year: Class of 2018

Hometown: Ashburn, Virginia

Major: Biomedical Engineering on a Pre med track

Do you have a specific career in mind? 

I hope to one day be a plastic surgeon or a neurosurgeon. I also want to use my Engineering major and make medical equipment for special needs children to make medical improvements on their life, physically and economically. Lastly, I’d like to minor in communications and become the Medical Adviser for the International News.

What made you choose VCU? 

I love the city life and the diverse student body. The engineering and med programs at VCU are out of this world.

What are you most looking forward to about VCU? 

I’m looking forward to the freedom and making my own decisions. It’s the first step, in my opinion, in adulthood.

How do you want to get involved on campus? 

I hope to make a new organization called Phi Beta Lambda at VCU. I also hope to get involved in student government, engineering organizations, and volunteering at different medical locations on campus.

What is Phi Beta Lambda and what are your goals for it? 

PBL is the collegiate level of FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). PBL is a nonprofit educational association for collegiate students who are interested in learning more about the free enterprise system. PBL is a nationally recognized club in the United States of America. Students not only compete among the best in the United States but also students from Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda and the Dodd’s school in Europe. The purpose of PBL is to prepare members for careers in business and to assist them by becoming better employees and citizens. PBL helps students develop leadership abilities, prepares them for entry into a business-related occupations and offers a setting where members compete at regional, state and national levels in business and technology curriculum.

Do you have any hidden talents? 

I like to write poetry and bake in my free time. I also like to research wedding dresses in my free time. After a few years of researching different designers and wedding dresses, I have the ability to look at a wedding dress and describe it in extensive detail and give you the price range of the dress with no prior knowledge of that exact dress.

What draws you to wedding dresses? Do you think you would ever make a side job out of that in the future? 

I did pageants are a child starting at the age of  seven so evening gowns have always been a big part of my life. I’ve always been fascinated by them. Though it’s my dream to own a wedding dress shop like Kleinfields in NYC one day, I see wedding dresses more as a hobby than a profession.

Who are your biggest influences or role models? 

My parents have always been my biggest cheerleaders in life. I look up to their motivation, persistence in their work/field, and their dedication towards all projects they are faced with. My uncle is someone I look up to highly. He is very caring yet stern. He knows how to be a leader without being rude or “bossy.” I think that’s one of the most amazing attributes a person can have.

Sarah is from Lynchburg, Virginia but has lived in Richmond since attending Virginia Commonwealth University in 2012 where she studied Mass Communications with a concentration in print journalism. She began contributing to Her Campus at VCU as a freshman and was developed to lead the chapter as Campus Correspondent for two years where she increased membership by 65% and brought the chapter ranking from bronze level to platinum level. She enjoyed attending both the mid-atlantic conferences held with the chapter at the College of William & Mary and Her Conferences held in NYC.  Sarah currently works in the tech industry in marketing. She has a background in communications, hospitality and nonprofit consulting. She still loves attending VCU basketball games and also loves live music. In her free time, she likes going on long walks with her dog, tending to her house plants and cycling around downtown. Fun fact: she has never owned a car and is a community advocate for public transit. Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn.