This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Xavier Jones

Age: 21 

Year: 4th

Hometown: Arlington, VA

Major: AFAM with a minor in Art (Film)

African American Studies Major Xavier Jones can often be seen shredding around campus and landing sick tricks. As a student with heavy art influences, he often combines skateboarding and film to express and showcase an athletic urban art piece that is intense, gnarly and fun.

How did you get into skateboarding?

I used to get grounded a lot for being a “bad child” when I was in school “mainly for bad grades,” so around the age of 13 I started skating in my driveway out of boredom since I’d be stuck at home. I fell in love with the freedom of skateboarding and have stuck with it ever since.

Have you ever considered making skateboarding more than a hobby? Possibly a career?

I haven’t completely decided yet. Skateboarding is more of a passion still for me, but I’ll probably change my mind when sponsors come knocking.

Who are your biggest influences or role models?

Stevie Williams, because he came from the streets and now owns his own skateboarding brand, DGK “Dirty Ghetto Kids.” Also Malcolm X for obvious reasons, as a pioneer during the civil rights movement and a human rights activist, I draw inspiration from him to pursue my dreams despite any racial obstacles.

Favorite place to skate in Richmond:  

Downtown, there’s this little spot on 9th Street. It has very mellow yellow curbs, smooth ground and it’s well lit at night!

What made you choose VCU?

I came for the art school and I stayed for the laid back environment. There’s a prominent skate scene and I definitely wasn’t going to George Mason. VCU was just the right fit for me.

How does art influence your skating?

My skateboarding is my art, and my art is life. This is a pretty evident theme in a lot of my work and mini-documentaries. I’m actually working on a skateboarding documentary right now called “Curb Drop” that I will be premiering at Common Threads before Thanksgiving break. Follow me on instagram for updates if you wish at @jeauxns

Any advice for those who might want to follow a similar path?

Do what you want, no matter what people tell you and “love your haters.” Shout out to The Humble Collective, Common Threads and Convoy Skateboards. And Thank you, Lil B.

If you want to see more of Xavier’s skateboarding, film and art pieces, like his Facebook page and follow him on tumbr.

Chantelle is from Virginia Beach, VA, and is currently a Junior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is a Psychology Major with a Minor in Gender Sexuality and Women's Studies. She is an intense lover of comedy and is always looking for a reason to laugh. Her hobbies include dance, theatre, reading, and watching a lot t.v. You will usually find her dancing in a mirror, at a play or musical, filling her tummy with exotic foods, or crying over a piece of malfunctioning technology. She is an avid feminist, and loves helping people of all walks of life. After graduation she hopes to continue on to earn her Ph.D in Child Psychology and spend the rest of her days making young little humans smile more. You can find her spreading wisdom on Twitter @chantelltelle 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!