This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Recently, I have gotten really into making my own clothes (thank you TikTok and the Harry Styles crochet sweater trend). Surprisingly, it is not as hard as I thought it would be and you can do it while catching up on your favorite TV show. There are a ton of resources online to learn the techniques and get free patterns to start your new hobby. You can crochet, knit, sew or even buy clothes from the thrift store and alter them into something new. 

As someone who throws themselves into work and has trouble relaxing, crocheting my own clothes has definitely become an outlet for me. Not to mention there are so many benefits to start making your own clothes. 

You Can Make it How You Want

When making your own clothes, you are able to do whatever you want. You are making it to fit you and not a wide range of different people. You can give it more room in some areas or take it in in other areas. Even when looking at a pattern, you can take your measurements and make adjustments when necessary.

If you have a piece of clothing that fits perfectly, you can use that as a guide. Making your own clothes also means that you have the ability to change the color(s) or make any other stylistic adjustments you like. Say you really like a dress, but prefer it in a different color or pattern—that is a change you can make easily.  

It’s Ethical and Sustainable 

Fast fashion has a lot of repercussions. On the other hand, it is very hard to get affordable clothing that is both ethical and sustainable. The thrift store is one of the only (if not the only) choices for ethical and sustainable clothing options that will not cost a whole lot of money.

More often than not, when shopping at a thrift store, sizing is limited and they might not have what you are looking for. Being able to adjust clothing to fit your body or your aesthetic is definitely worth it. By making your own clothes, you know where it is coming from and who is making them. You could take it a step further and source your materials from sustainable places.  

The Sense of Accomplishment You’ll Feel

After I finished my first sweater, it became my pride and joy. I wore it for a week straight (which I do not recommend, by the way) and showed everyone I could. It’s incredible to see the start of a clothing piece and the finished product. It does take time and effort, but in the end, it is worth it.  

Making your own clothes is a creative outlet that lets you have personalized pieces that not everyone may have. If you are thinking about starting to make your own clothes, I would recommend YouTube to learn the basics of whatever method you prefer. For knit or crochet patterns, I recommend Ravelry since they have free patterns and a wide range of options. Right now, there is a girl on TikTok, Alexa, who is sewing outfits from “Mamma Mia” and sharing her patterns for those items on her platform. 

Jaimison James is a writer for HerCampus at VCU. She is a current Junior majoring in Psychology with a concentration in Life Sciences and a minor in Biology.
VCU Contributor Account