Banana Hand Nail Polish
Banana Hand Nail Polish
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You Should Never Use Flavored Lube For Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Lube has almost endless benefits when it comes to sex. More often than not, it improves the overall experience for everyone involved and is worth the investment. However, not all lubes are created equal when it comes to penetrative sex.

There are many different types of lube for sale on the market, I mean, simply visit any site that sells sex products, and you’ll see a near endless list of options! You can choose between oil-based, water-based and a few other, more niche, varieties. However, one type of lube that should universally be ignored when it comes to penetrative sex is flavored lube. As everyone with a vagina knows, the constant struggle to maintain a proper pH level is a brutal one. Not to mention the trial-and-error involving UTIs that most people with vaginas will inevitably face at one time or another. And yeast infections, don’t even get me started on yeast infections. 

Vaginas require a certain sort of delicacy and gentleness. Flavored lubes will simply strip away any sort of balanced vaginal environment and replace it with a barren wasteland filled with yeast infections and pain. The reason why flavored lubes are so bad for vaginal health is due to the fact that they contain sweeteners, such as sugar, saccharin and aspartame. Bacterias consume this sugar and multiply easier when there is an abundance of food to choose from.  

Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Now, one can imagine that using sugary, strawberry-scented lube for penetrative sex may yield some bad results. They are correct for thinking this. In regards to anal sex, I would simply avoid risking flavored lube outright. There’s an inherent risk of tearing when it comes to penetrative sex in general, and having sticky, sweet lube get caught in any potential micro-tears will result in a miserable healing process. 

A majority of flavored lube is purchased due to the wide range of flavors that vendors offer, making oral sex potentially more enjoyable for those that initiate. It’s popular because it can hide any poor tastes and make the area smell nicer during the act. However, a sizable portion of couples will use oral sex as foreplay and then have penetrative sex afterward. When it comes to flavored lube, that isn’t a good idea. The residue from the lube will still be there, still be sweet and still cause yeast infections, UTIs and be a pain to deal with. This isn’t even mentioning the fact that some couples will put flavored lube directly onto the vagina and provide oral sex in that way. Which, naturally, can result in substantial vaginal issues in the near future. The mere thought of the yeast infection that may arise from that scenario is almost enough to give me hives. 

Lube, in general, is far more useful than not. I have no idea how many times my friends have proclaimed the benefits of their favorite lubes and how they improve everything tenfold. However, when it comes to flavored lubes, it’s better to just leave it alone and avoid dealing with it if there’s a chance that penetrative sex may occur. It’s better to use non-flavored and non-scented lubes when it comes to sex. If odor and taste issues are so prevalent that scented or flavored lubes are required, then proper washing or even a doctor visit may be necessary to consider. 

The vagina is a delicate organ and requires a sort of finesse that flavored lube entirely lacks. 

Mikaela is a current student of Virginia Commonwealth University.