Why You Should Never Sneak a Dog Into Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

My journey began with a Craigslist ad. Being the impulsive individual that I am, I recently decided to dogsit a 14-year-old, blind Shih-Tzu for a week. The only problem — I live in on-campus dorms.

Desperately needing the money, I accepted the challenge only after the owner explained that the dog did not bark.

At first, it might seem fun to harbor a dog in your room. Playing with a happy, loving dog especially if you have been away from your own dog and miss their company, seems like a dream come true. However, it is not.

There is a level of anxiety that comes with sneaking a dog past security every day. In case you didn’t know, dogs do not enjoy being put in a gym bag. The possibility of them barking or whimpering or peeking their head out is high. The anxiety begins to add up when you have to take the dog outside two times a day.

When you have classes, you have to leave the dog in your dorm. They could potentially bark or scratch at the doors. Getting caught with a dog could get you a fine from the university. 

Dogs, like all animals, may have accidents. This means having to clean up after them even though it is the last thing you want to do. Dogs also tend to smell like, well, dog. The dog’s scent will stay in your room long after they are gone. 

If you are like me, the temptation to take in a dog is hard to ignore. However, the cons outway the pros. There are easier ways to make money, I promise. 

Emily Holter is a Freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She studies Mass Communications with a concentration in Print and Online Journalism. She is an avid reader of books, a lover of all things Cher, and a flower enthusiast. Most days, she is tucked away in a coffee shop, sipping on her black coffee and enjoying light conversation.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!