This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Superheroes in comics and movies are always comprised of the well-known Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, etc., serving to a specific audience and only half of the population. Each of these stories has represented the ideal savior of our world from all its chaos in the form of a male teaching young boys that they can conquer the world if they wish to – but what about the young girls and women of this generation? They have only had the opportunity to relate to the damsel in distress, the princess, the love interest, the sexualized object or the sidekick. The most memorable scenes that young girls can remember are ones like the Spiderman upside down kiss or Clark Kent saving Lana. Where are the scenes that inspire us to think that we can take on the world with just a cape on our backs?

Wonder Woman was created in 1941 by a man immersed in the women’s rights movement, but it took Hollywood 76 years to make a big screen version of Wonder Woman. The release of first female-led superhero movie created by a female director, Patty Jenkins, has been groundbreaking in the genre, but it has also impacted the hearts of both younger and older generation of girls all around the world. For once, we can see ourselves in Wonder Woman – capable of actually having an impact or having our word heard, no matter how many times society attempts to silence us. She has become the feminine archetype to remind us that we are not lacking in force, strength or power, not by fulfilling masculine roles, but by emphasizing her femininity through her empathy and desire for peace. Wonder Woman has reminded society of the superhero we need, not because it is her one duty or because she has the power to, but because she chooses to fight for what is right.

We need Wonder Woman because up until now, it has been subconsciously embedded in our brains that women follow behind men in almost every walk of life. Through movies and literature, the idea of men having the larger, more dominant roles has become normalized – not only in the entertainment industry, but also a part of the accepted culture. The current #metoo movement highlights sexual assault and the fight for empowerment through empathy. We need the courage and kindness of Wonder Woman to listen and speak up for those suffering from sexual assault alone, and for the people whose voices have been silenced for years. Wonder Woman has ignited a flame in the hearts of women of all ages and reminded them to finally feel like they can have control over their thoughts, bodies, futures and their choices.

Photos by Eleanor Ritzman

Anupama Pathak is a Biomedical Engineering and a procastinating perfectionist who loves Harry Potter, painting, feminist literature, rock music and nerdy memes. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!