This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Our world is changing.  Along with these changes, beliefs and values we as people hold change, too.

When you hear the word “feminist,” what comes to mind? Is it a group of women proclaiming how much they hate men? Is it a person who believes women should be treated equally in regards to their male counterparts? Or are you unsure of what today’s modern definition of a feminist is entirely?

Well, for starters, a feminist is not always a woman. Despite what mainstream media portrays the feminist movement as, this aspect often gets misconstrued. As bell hooks explained, feminism is for everybody. It does not matter your age, sex, gender identity or class status. If you are an individual who wishes to fight against sexism, oppression and exploitation of women, then you are indeed a feminist. Many individuals are not aware of this definition, which often leads to negative connotation towards having these beliefs. 

Second, feminism is not about hating any group of people. In actuality, it is quite the opposite. Feminism is about acknowledging women and their place in this world as human beings; not objects, nor inferiors or incompetents. It does not involve harvesting any negative feelings toward men in any way. There is one goal, which is equality. Feminists actually work with men and people of other genders to achieve these goals, and no problem doing so. How else would a group be able to get things done if they secluded work to only one group of people? Feminism is inclusive. It welcomes ALL women, cis and trans alike. If you happen to join an organization that claims this to not be true, then stray away from them, as their intentions are not in the right place. Again, this movement is about love and uplifting one another.

We need feminism more than ever. Women need to be protected in this world. In light of recent events happening in our country, it should be our job as citizens to ensure that women are seen as individuals, not just someone else’s property in relation to them (mothers, daughters, sisters, etc). Women have their own lives and legacies to lead, with or without a man or dominant figure attached to them. It is only morally right to ensure that their rights to their bodies and ambitions are protected at all costs.

We live in a society where we cannot control what happens to our own bodies. Job positions are deemed almost impossible to obtain if you are not male-presenting. This is just some of the adversity that some cis and trans women face on a daily basis. Not to mention trans women, who are excluded further because they are not “woman enough.” Women’s rights to abortion are being stripped away, and being left to people who do not identify as women to speak for them. This may not mean much to some, but just the mere thought of this possibility brings intense dread and fear for the people it effects.

Is this the world we would like future generations to experience? A stifling environment that perpetuates feelings of intense exclusions and hatred? Subliminal messages that say women are merely admired for their looks and nothing more?  It is time for us to take a stand. We need to protect our cisgender women, transgender women, women of color, disabled women and more. Change is possible.

Images: 1, 2

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!