Why Tampons Should be Free for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A recent tweet went viral claiming, “If you can afford to give boys free condoms you can afford to give girls free tampons. Menstruation is a lot harder to refrain from than sex.” Since then, it has sparked much controversy about whether or not the tweet is valid and whether or not tampons should be free.

This conversation centers around the fact that everyone has access to free condoms; however, women do not have access to free tampons or sanitary napkins that are necessary for clean and hygienic purposes.

It is important to recognize this argument is not stating that there should not be access to free condoms as they are equally as essential for protection and prevention. It is simply pointing out the fact that we place importance on male health without recognizing female health.

In terms of economics, an average box of 24 condoms costs around $19.00- so roughly 80 cents per condom. An average box of 36 tampons costs around $9.00- so roughly 28 cents per tampon. Without that being said, women use more tampons per week than men use condoms; therefore, the demand is much higher and the cost of tampons can become quite pricey.

It is fair to mention that not every female has access to sanitary napkins or tampons. In low-income families or among the female homeless population, many do not have the resources and have to use anything possible. This alone should be an incentive to at least have a conversation about the issue at hand. Not to mention, many school aged girls often skip school because they do not have money to afford sanitary products. This directly affects their education. No one should go without basic health necessities as it affects a bigger picture.

We need to flip this discussion from that of a basic health concern but to that of a basic human right. Tampons and sanitary napkins are a necessity and women deserve have free or at least affordable access to them.

This would be a different conversation if tampons were at least recognized as an “important” health good by the state and federal governments; but they’re not. Female sanitary products are not seen as a health good and therefore, still taxed. Items that are considered “important” health goods and are therefore, not taxed include: Condoms, lubricants, nicotine patches and sunscreen.

If this doesn’t blatantly point the sexism involved with this issue, then let me further explain: Women have always been taught that they should be ashamed of their periods. That they should not discuss it. Although it is a natural function, it is not to be brought up and should be kept to oneself. In response, something as simple as having access to such a viable necessity for a female is seen as taboo and unacceptable. The huge backlash against this concept stems from this ashamed notion regarding menstruation.

However, by having the conversation, we are shifting away from this stigma. We are opening up the doors for women to discuss their periods and their struggles. Hopefully, as this conversation grows, it will affect countries outside of America. In my case and for many women, tampons and sanitary napkins are a given. Many women in other nations do not have such luxuries. If we, as a nation, begin the discussion than it has the potential to spread.

We must continue the conversation. We must provoke change.

Emily Holter is a Freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She studies Mass Communications with a concentration in Print and Online Journalism. She is an avid reader of books, a lover of all things Cher, and a flower enthusiast. Most days, she is tucked away in a coffee shop, sipping on her black coffee and enjoying light conversation.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!