Why Rowan Blanchard Has Our Feminist Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Rowan Blanchard, star of Disney Channel’s “Girl Meets World” has been taking the world by storm. She’s proven time and time again to be an amazing actress, portraying lovable character Riley Matthews. But little does anyone know how she’s using her star power to change the world. Rowan has just made our feminist hearts so happy!

1. Like when she uses her power and fan following to make her Instagram a place where she can speak intelligently on social issues.

Rowan participated in the #Hellomynameis hashtag and introduced herself and how she plans to use her Instagram. 

2. And when she teamed up with makeup artist Amanda Steele after her fellow Disney star tweeted about girls wearing too much makeup.

Blake Michael, former “Dog with a Blog” star made a post on Twitter about girls wearing too much makeup. Amanda Steele, quickly fired back, arguing that girls should be able to express themselves how they want to. 

Rowan backed her up, and told Blake that he has no right in how a girl chooses to present themselves. Blake subsequently deleted the tweet. 

3. Let’s not forget when she backed up Amandla Stenberg.

Amandla had come under a lot of criticism after leaving a comment on celebrity Kylie Jenner’s photo. Jenner had posted a picture of herself in cornrows and Stenberg commented about how the cornrows were cultural appropriation. Blanchard proceeded to defend and support Stenberg’s argument by writing an amazing thought-provoking essay. 

4. And Emma Watson approved her essay. 

Our two favorite feminists supporting each other? Cue the squealing. 

5. Then she and Amandla won the “Feminist Celebrity of the Year” award.

They were both awarded the “Feminist Celebrity of the Year” award by the Ms. Foundation of Women. Both were praised for their contributions in promoting feminism through their social media outlets. 

6. When she spoke at the Her for She conference and made us all so proud. 

Rowan had the opportunity to speak about gender equality at the UN Women U.S. National Committee Conference. Watch it below! 

7. When she came out as queer.

Rowan recently opened up about her sexuality on her social media. She said that while so far she’s only dated boys, she doesn’t want to stick to a certain label. 

8. And she shouted out Malala on her birthday on Instagram.

Part of her caption is “Your endless bravery and willingness to never back down is a superpower in itself. Thank you for everything you have done to fight for equal education and feminism. It is because of you that I know my voice is powerful and important. You show that wisdom and truth know no age.” *insert swoon eyes here*

9. Speaking of her Instagram, can we just talk about how cute it is?! 

10. We can’t forget her Twitter either. 

Preach Rowan, preach. 

Have we mentioned that Rowan is only fourteen? Can we all just make a pact of protect her at all costs? She’s accomplished so much, and with her eye on Columbia’s School of Journalism, we have no doubt she’ll soar. 

Salinna Lor is a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's addicted to coffee, frozen yogurt, vloggers, Kate Spade, and writing. You can catch her on Instagram or Twitter (@salinnalor)
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!