Why Keeping a Scrapbook is a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

So, so, so many pictures are taken, whether to post on social media or just for memories sake, that they need a special place where we can simply reminisce on amazing experiences!

I am by no means an expert on scrapbooking, but the great thing about it is that you don’t have to be! Scrapbooks are meant to be their own little time box about a chapter or several chapters in your life. And, what better way to cheer yourself up than looking at your most memorable moments.

All the goofy pics of your friends being weird, your trip to the beach and past spring breaks are all times you wish you could relive forever. Looking at them makes you happy because you think about all the great times you’ve had so far! You make an effort to fill the pages with your story, so when you do forget about what happened on your 18th birthday, it’s right there in front of you with a little note on the side written by past you.

All the memories you put in your scrapbook and all the people in it have some significance in your life, even if it’s a small part. Past you will make present you smile, laugh and cry the hardest because everything you think is a funny or a good moment will end up in this cute creative book that you personally made!

Decorating around the pictures and explaining the circumstances of the event not only reminds you of that moment, but that time in your life surrounding that period in time. We all go through phases, cycl through different friends and experiences – it makes up every year we go through, which makes memories even more special. It’s almost like making a never ending movie where you don’t know where you’re going next, but you’re excited for the future anyway.

Every time you print a new photo, place it and write about it, it just gives the picture a whole new meaning than if you were to simply scroll through your phone or look on social media, reminiscing about some of the great times you’ve had. It makes your memories a bit more special to know they’ve found a small, little home to be where you can show your friends or your mom – or even if it’s just for you!

Of course, scrapbooking is not for everyone, but if you’re looking for a new hobby or something to pass the time besides Netflix, it’s a fun, rewarding activity. So how do you start scrapbooking if you’re interested? Start with a couple pictures from the same year or from an amazing trip to get started! Use stickers, colorful gel pens or just the pictures themselves to start your time box. Sometimes it’s even more fun to ask your friends about their favorite pictures they have with you so you know other people enjoy similar moments that you cherish.

I hope your cute, funny pictures find a home in your scrapbook that you’ll be able to cherish forever and be able to look at and appreciate whenever you can. Your memories with all the people you’ve met and all the experiences you’ve had will have a special place for you to come back and add to as you make your own life’s story!

Photo credits: Cover photo1, 2, 3

Nat is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at Virginia Commonwealth University who treats every opportunity as a new chapter. All her chapters are filled with music, travels, Pinterest, and pics of friends laughing so hard they snort. She loves meeting new people and hearing new stories because she believes everyone has one. She aspires to influence those around her as well as just making people smile.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!