Culture > News

Why It’s Important That Your Feminism Is Intersectional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s important that women empower and support each other. The patriarchy tries to strip us of power, and the only way to challenge the systems that were built against us is to dismantle them together. It is only logical as a woman to want men and women to be given equal rights and opportunities, even if this desire is only rooted in self-interest. However, to truly level the playing field for everyone, you have to take into consideration the fact that all women do not face the same obstacles each day. Intersectional Feminism acknowledges all of the things that may intersect with womanhood, such as race, gender identity, sexual orientation and disability status.

A white woman will not face the same issues as a black woman; a cis woman will not encounter the same obstacles a trans woman will and a non-disabled woman will not have the same exact experiences that a disabled woman will. When you do not experience certain things because of your privilege, it’s easy to overlook the struggles of those around you, but I am challenging you not to. 

Crowd of women, one holding a sign that says \"the future is female\"
Via Lindsey LaMont on Unsplash

The people who are not the majority and don’t possess much power in society have been fighting for their rights for centuries, but they cannot fight alone. They need people that are granted more privileges to take advantage of them and use them to uplift, empower and fight for the rights of those not as fortunate to be in the position that they are. To truly grant women and men equal rights, we first have to address the other systems that may be put in place to keep women oppressed besides the system of patriarchy. Racism is systemic; it does not just exist in the hearts of people who are hateful; it is ingrained in the systems that control our day-to-day life.

Homophobia and transphobia are very prevalent in today’s society, and people within the LGBTQIA+ community do not have certain rights and protections because the systems in place are not built to support or protect them. People with disabilities also are working against the system each day, trying to get equal rights and opportunities. Until these systems are dismantled, all women will not have equal rights or equal opportunities. Even if men were no longer in a position of power, these other factors would still oppress some groups of women. 

Each woman has a complex identity, and no matter what their identity is, they should have equal rights. This will only be accomplished if everyone steps out of their comfort zone and figures out the ways in which they are privileged. Women need to learn about the struggles of the women around them, empathize with an experience they may not fully understand and advocate for change. We cannot leave groups behind, or we will get no closer to equality. Feminism that is singular and only accounts for the experience of a white, cisgender, heterosexual, non-disabled woman is not revolutionary, and will not accomplish the goal we claim we’ve been striving to achieve- equality for each and every person. 

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!