elvis priscilla costumes halloween?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
elvis priscilla costumes halloween?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Ruby Bell / Warner Bros

Why I’ll Be Watching The New ‘Priscilla’ Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Sofia Coppola’s new film depicts Elvis and Priscilla Presley’s relationship from Priscilla’s point of view inspired by her book, Elvis and Me, from 1985. Over the years, many filmmakers have produced biopics, documentaries and other movies about “the king of rock and roll.” Last June, Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis movie shook up a new generation of fans. The drama/ musical is focused on Elvis’ tumultuous relationship with his manager, the Colonel, and Priscilla was featured as more of an accessory. While the movie had a specific story to tell, the “king’s” wife had a significant role in his life because she gave up her childhood to commit herself to him. I read her book Elvis and Me after watching the movie to hear her story in her own words and I was blown away. The book is an intimate and emotional love story spanning over many years from when she first met Elvis at 14 years old to his death. Priscilla is an honor to Priscilla and the lengths she went to in order to be his wife and other half. 

Historically, women have been viewed as a decoration without a significant story to tell. In the years of American history when Priscilla and Elvis were in a relationship, women were housewives expected to make their husband’s lives easier. The two young lovers bonded over loneliness and a longing for a connection which resulted in Priscilla listening to Elvis talk about his distress while he was overseas. Later when Elvis came back to the states, Priscilla spent many months on her own at Graceland so he could tour and make movies elsewhere. He gave her “important” duties like “keeping everything in order” at home so he could focus on his career. She barely finished high school and never considered college because of Elvis’ opinions on higher education. In the book, Priscilla also describes playing as Elvis’ doll and she changed her hair, makeup and clothing to fit his desires all while trying to finish high school and keep up with a new rock and roll lifestyle. Years into the relationship, she realized she wanted to take back the control Elvis had over her life and explore who Priscilla was and what her needs were. 

The upcoming movie has the media whirling about women’s freedom and how important identity is to the modern woman. My personal reflections about how powerful it is that this movie is directed by a woman who is tributing a famous woman in history reminded me of Britney Spears’ new book. Spears was forced into a 13 year conservatorship after being deemed mentally unstable, but in 2021 social media inspired the #FreeBritney movement that got her conservatorship terminated. This month, she released her tell all memoir called The Woman In Me releasing new behind the scenes information about the people in her past who took advantage of her. Britney’s conservatorship and Priscilla’s marriage allow these two women to share a common relief and acknowledgement. It took years for both women to cut ties with people who controlled their life, physically, financially and even emotionally. While they experienced different extremes, they are now reborn and got the chance to start a new life. Society has underestimated the independence, capabilities and worthiness of Britney and Priscilla. 

This year marks a pivotal moment for both of these women who are finally getting their own words out into the world. Sharing your story in your own words is a privilege that we all deserve and is worth telling, especially when you are in the public eye- people make your story their own. Despite the difficulties in her relationship, Priscilla has continued to dedicate her life to Elvis’s legacy but admits that she lacked control in her youth. While today we can celebrate these two women for coming out of traumatic situations, will society always remember them as “the wife of Elvis” and “the pop star who had to be put in a conservatorship?” Priscilla is quoted yearning for self recognition: “I don’t want to be someone’s entertainment.” I am curious to see how the new biopic and memoir will change the way older generations view women and their undefining unfortunate circumstances. Can we appreciate the good with the bad? 

Ariana is a fashion merchandising major and theater minor at Virginia Commonwealth University with interests in costume design and film. She is a member of the editorial team and is enthusiastic about sustainability, fashion, beauty, mental health, and current events. She loves supporting women through HC.