Why I Won’t Shut Up About Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

With every year I have gotten older and become more aware of the world around me, I have grown increasingly more disenchanted with the country that I since I was a little girl, have been taught to love, respect and value. To put it bluntly, I am no longer sure if I am proud to be an American.

It is important to understand that hate, bigotry, marginalization and discrimination are not a new phenomenon. As long as there have been groups that consider themselves superior, there have been other groups who are taunted, tortured, murdered and dehumanized because they are seen as less-than. Before the 2016 election, though, it seemed like the United States hit a small turning point. We elected our first black president, and under his wise and caring governance, the country saw its first same-sex marriages, anti-discrimination bills and a slew of new legislation giving hope to minority communities that their strife would only be temporary.

Yet, new administration does nothing but instill the fears of minority groups and their allies. Every day under the Trump administration’s rule, non-white, non-straight, non-male, non-Christian and non-wealthy individuals are targeted. Some, because of the government’s racist, homophobic, xenophobic and sexist tendencies, are fearing for their lives or being torn from their homes and loved ones.

I’m mad about it. I’m pissed off, angry and have not stopped fuming since I realized that our progress, after years of back peddling, would once again be stolen by old, white men hiding their prejudices behind promises of keeping the country safe and upholding good Christian values.

Instead of laying down and taking it, though, I’m communicating. I am sharing my views with my representatives, peers, friends, family, colleagues; anyone that I have the slightest chance of reaching. I realize that, as a white woman, my silence (should I actually be silent) would allude to the fact that I am tolerant of the disgusting executive orders and actions conducted by the Trump administration. My silence, therefore, would directly translate to my privilege and in turn aid in the endangerment of the minority communities that I so passionately love and support. That being said, though, I understand that it is not my job to be the hero, but rather to advocate for sharing the mic; using my voice to express disdain and knowing that, as a white woman, it’s not all about me.

It is imperative that we, no matter gender, race, religion, sexual identity, socio-economic status, etc., continue to communicate. People might fuss and fight when you post an angry, politically fueled Facebook status, but your discussion is important. Strangers may yell or harass you when you speak your mind in public, but your work is important. We cannot make progress without communication, otherwise, ignorance will, ultimately, win.

If you have an issue with your government, speak up. Call your representatives and make it known that you will not stand for social regression. Talk with everyone you know, no matter if they share your views or not. If nothing else, they will at least be forced to acknowledge you. Remember- No matter who you are, your silence is a part of the problem.

Gifs: 12, 3, 4

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!