Why Everyone Needs to Leave Malia Obama Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

For about a year now, I’ve been seeing photos and videos leaked online of Malia Obama partying. People have a lot to say about it and it’s quite frustrating. I’ve seen more articles about how she’s a party girl, more so than the fact that she’s studying at Harvard. Malia is a 19-year-old college student, and people need to realize that

Unfortunately, for some, Barack Obama is no longer our president. Due to this, Malia Obama should have every right to live a private life. The fact that videos are even surfacing of her partying is a complete invasion of privacy. The only real difference between Malia Obama and any other teenager is that Malia has had a famous past through her family. Malia deserves every ounce of privacy that other teenagers get. The fact that these videos are taken from afar, without her even being aware, is completely wrong. She’s doing nothing different compared to other college students, and the fact that she’s being judged in the public eye for this is sad to watch.

I’ve seen videos of Malia Obama kissing a guy at a function, smoking cigarettes and dancing at music festivals. From what we know, Malia Obama is not on hard drugs or showing any signs of alcoholism. She’s simply living the college lifestyle, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s no one’s business to know what’s going on with her life. It’s sad to watch these videos get leaked of her, when she has no control over it. All she is trying to do is to have a fun college life, and there’s nothing wrong with it. Quite frankly, she’s the one studying at Harvard and I’m not. She is doing completely fine and people need to leave her alone.

It’s pretty bizarre to me that people are judging Malia Obama so harshly, when we have a president whose well beyond her age tweeting nonsense almost every day. Let’s focus on the things that really affect us, and leave Malia alone.

Photo Credits: Cover, 1

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!