freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

What To Wear If You’re Meeting Your SO’s Family For Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The holidays can be stressful enough, having to worry about gifts for everyone on your list, ensuring that travel plans will not fall through and dealing with certain relatives. But when you’re in a relationship, that stress seems to double while worrying about both yourself and your significant other—you have to meet their family. Likely, you have already met their parents, but during the holidays, you may have to meet extended family, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and they are literally all judging you the entire time, whether you like it or not. Having the right outfit can help ease the tension and some of the stress, by conveying certain messages through your clothing.

That being said, here are a few tips on how to choose the right outfit when meeting your significant other’s family over the holidays.

Avoid The Politics

Despite how adamant you are about your own political views, bringing that to your significant other’s family is bound to start heating discussions and arguments, especially when the extended family is involved; and first impressions mean everything. Don’t wear a shirt or hat with your favorite candidate’s campaign and slogan on it, it will only spark conversations that can go south quickly. No matter how you may feel or how you know they feel, try to avoid politics in order to avoid the headache of it all—it isn’t worth it.

Dress For The Weather

If it is going to be snowing and under 50 degrees outside, do not wear a miniskirt and crop top. You want to be cute, but at the same time it is winter and in most parts of the U.S. it will be cold during the last few weeks of December. This isn’t being said to slut-shame anyone, wear whatever you want, but meeting your partner’s family isn’t always the best time to try out that new bodycon minidress you just got in. You want to be comfortable as much as you can and not tugging on your skirt or making sure your nipples aren’t flying out of your top every five minutes. Plan on wearing warmer, comfortable clothes when going to their house and think about what you would and wouldn’t want to see in your significant other’s family’s shoes.

Dress For the Occasion

Know what you are getting into before you arrive. Some families dress more formal for the holidays, some roll into the living room in pajamas and hoodies, but make sure you ask your significant other what their family typically wears through the holidays and what type of attire you should wear in order to fit in. Or even better, coordinate outfits with your partner so that if you are dressed too formal or too casual, at least they are too and they have your back.

Don’t Be Afraid To Play It Safe

Yes, you want to stand out and be different and show their family how unique you are, but if you are at a loss for an outfit, stick to basics. A nice pair of jeans and your favorite blouse, sweater or cardigan can’t go wrong and you can add your own flair and personality with your accessories and jewelry. Or even if you have a bold top with a funky pattern or a unique fit, pairing that with some more simple garments keep the outfit from being too over the top, while still displaying your own personality.

Maia is a senior at VCU double majoring in Print/Online Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. She loves to write about fashion and beauty and spends her free time reading, writing, and taking naps.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!