This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

On my personal Instagram, I created a poll asking Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) students what they were wearing for Halloween. I don’t follow the entire VCU student body, so my results may be a bit skewed and only reflect those who I am familiar with, however, I received some interesting costume ideas here are the results.

Goth Barbie

When I saw this result, I was surprised and a little jealous I hadn’t thought of the idea first. It’s the perfect combination of style and intrigue. Those who don’t know what you are at first sight can still appreciate the fashionable aspect of your costume. It also gives Barbie an unusual twist, transforming her pink and bubbly aesthetic into an edgier character.  

Beetlejuice

This costume has been plastered all over the costume store, Spirit Halloween and the social media app, TikTok. People can’t get away from it. The musical and the movie are ubiquitous, so I wasn’t surprised when someone suggested this costume in my poll. The characters and aesthetics in the movie “Beetlejuice” have an infinite amount of applications. Admirers of the movie could fashion their costumes after Beetlejuice himself, or other characters in the movie like Winona Ryder’s character Lydia Deetz and Geena Davis’ character Barbara Maitland. The possibilities are endless. 

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy is a classic costume that most people forget about. However, when they show up to a festivity, they’re the life of the party. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy come from a pillar in everyone’s childhood, the show “Spongebob Squarepants.” That’s why they make for such a great costume; they’re a crowd-pleaser that reminds everyone of their childhood.  

Avatar: The Last Airbender

Ever since Netflix added this iconic show from our childhood to its streaming service, Gen Z has drowned in nostalgia. From the fan videos to cosplaying on TikTok, the excitement over “Avatar: The Last Airbender” has not died down, especially now since Netflix also added “The Legend of Korra.” People can dress up as their favorite character or can go as themselves in the “Avatar: The Last Air Bender” universe. 

Harry Potter

Like “Avatar: The Last Air Bender,” Gen Z has once again become obsessed with things from our childhood. Recently, Tiktok has been filled with fan videos of Draco Malfoy, Fred Wesley and Cedric Diggory. The “Harry Potter” universe has once again taken over social media and a great way to take advantage of that is to dress up as your favorite character this Halloween.  

Hopefully, seeing what other VCU students are wearing for Halloween will help you come up with a costume of your own. 

Sarah is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University and is majoring in Mass Communications and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. Sarah enjoys reading, writing, and discussing sustainable fashion brands. Sarah spends most of her time, and money, on Depop fueling her shopping addiction. Follow her on instagram @Sarah_parker9 and Twitter @_parker_9
Mary McLean (née Moody) is an avid writer and is the former Editor in Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She wrote diligently for Her Campus at VCU for two years and was the Editor in Chief for three years. You can find her work here! She double majored in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University and graduated in 2022. She loves her son, Peter, and her cat Sully. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging Monster in the morning with her husband!