What Not to Wear: Men’s Real Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

You know that so handy saying that basically said, “Men don’t care what women wear”? Let’s kill that flawed statement now because they do care!

The beloved and witty designer Betsey Johnson once said, “Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all times.”

And though I can say it is true most of the time, us girls know when we put on those “too tight” jeans that hug our butts perfectly or that skin-tight shirt that shows off our womanly curves, it’s not for other girls, if you know what I mean. So what do men want to see us in? What makes them fall for us at first sight? And what do they wish we’d never wear again? With my help by the end of this article you’ll have a clearer idea about men and our fashion.

I took it upon myself to ask some of the most stylish and handsome men on campus about what they love us in and what they hate seeing us in. My first stop was Cabell Library, where I ran across seniors Billy Tomlinson and his friend Jay Fox. These two were eager to help me and had some heart breaking news for some girls when I asked what they hate. These two both agreed on hating Uggs! For many girls this is a go-to shoe for winter months but according to Billy, “Ugg season” is in full swing and wishes we would put these “kankle hiders” away forever. But the one thing Jay and Billy do love us in are leggings and disco pants – pretty self-explanatory as to why. 

Also while in Cabell, I asked junior Oyinemi Iyebote the same questions. Oyinemi’s biggest concern was that he likes girls to be feminine, so no sneakers! He himself is not a big fan of sneakers and he doesn’t want his girl to be either, but he also doesn’t expect us to wear heels all the time. He said to “meet somewhere in the middle.” But like any guy, he does like to see females in high-waisted skinny jeans, pencil skirts and anything else that shows off our figure – that’s no surprise! 

My next helper was senior Jonathan Briley. Jonathan started off hesitant because he didn’t want any girl to get offended, but he eventually let out his frustration with something he kept seeing walking by us – knee-high boots.

“They are hideous, and put something else on your feet,” he said.

The up-side to Jonathan’s interview is that he likes simple girls. He’d rather you be comfortable in your clothes than concerned about impressing him. He even thinks sweats on girls are “sexy.” How perfect is that? However, he does feel like there should always be some effort to keep up your appearance, but he doesn’t ask for much of a girl. 

After interviewing these gentleman, I had almost reverted to believing that men actually don’t care what we woman wear until my last and final interviewee, junior Alex Escanellas. His reaction was a game changer. He in fact said he truly believes all guys care about what woman wear. He and his friends even have discussions about it. He’s into fashion himself just like many guys today and he wants a girl to have good taste but never try too hard. He is in agreeance with Billy and Jay that he hates Uggs, but he also doesn’t approve of leggings.

Following my brief synopsis with a few guys on campus at VCU, I came to the conclusion that guys are very picky and they do care about what we wear. According the them, Uggs are an absolute no-no! Tights are a hit or miss, and things that show off our womanly curves are highly attractive. The good thing is with most guys what we wear will not stop them from approaching us, which is a win but it’s no excuse to never care about how we look. A little effort can go a long way! Plus, you never know where or when you’ll meet that right one, so dress like you’re ready everyday! Or, take the advice of the gorgeous fashion icon Kimora Lee Simons and “always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy.” Do it and give them something to look at, ladies!

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.