Career

What Career Services Can Really Do For You at VCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I’m sure there are a lot of you out there that are pretty uncertain about your future after college. The stress of perfecting a resume, finding the right internships and learning key interviewing strategies and tips is a lot to handle alongside our schoolwork load. Luckily, VCU offers many free services which help students with all of these issues, pushing us towards the right track to a successful career.

Many students have probably heard of the VCU Career Services center, however, a majority probably aren’t informed on what they can really do for students. Here are a few of the services that the center offers students here at VCU.

Career Advising

I would say that visiting an advisor at the Career Services Center would be a great place to start if you aren’t sure of the next steps to take in regards to your professional future. Sometimes we just need somebody to talk to regarding our particular field of interest, and how we could possibly emerge within it. Advisers at Career Services have expert knowledge regarding major industries and would be able to give insight into professions regarding:

• The Arts
  • Design
  • Communications
  • Media
  • Education
  • Human service
  • Healthcare
  • Government
  • Public service
  • STEM fields

Drop-in during their hours Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. or schedule an appointment for more flexible hours here.

Handshake

VCU Career Services offers an online program to students called Handshake, which helps us become informed about jobs, internships and events we may be interested in based on our major and career interests. Students have the opportunity to look for these opportunities within VCU as well as nationwide, connecting you to various employers and even VCU alumni. Want to know what jobs are available for you in Los Angeles? Don’t know when the next few career fairs are here at VCU for your major? Look it up with this online program. It is really easy to set up your account and get started. Check it out here.

Suit Yourself

Within the Career Center is a service called Suit Yourself, which offers students styling tips and clothing pieces for upcoming job interviews or other professional settings. Within their office is a styling closet which offers a wide range of items that can compliment pieces you already have at home. With the help of one of their helpful stylists, students are allowed to visit the closet twice a month and are allowed to take up to four items each visit. The best part is this—after students select their favorite pieces, they then get to own those items they take from the closet. Students are able to visit this closet Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Styling hours are Mondays and Wednesdays 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Just remember to bring your VCU ID!

Professional Photos

We all need a good professional headshot these days, especially when connecting with employers on Handshake and LinkedIn. This can be difficult for those of us without a professional camera within reach. Students can get their photos taken at the Services center with professional backdrops, even receiving their photo that same day via email.

VCU Career Services is a very useful place for students to visit, especially for those of you who are unsure of your future professional career after college. The “adult world” seems really scary, however, the services center can help you navigate a path to your career goals and hopefully take a lot of that fear away. The best part is—it’s free! The next time you’re in the Commons, remember to drop by VCU Career Services.

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4

Samantha Larrabee is a senior at VCU and is majoring in English with a minor in media studies. She is a fanatical fantasy book nerd that can usually be found napping in her free time or drinking Tabasco sauce by the bottle. She hopes to one day be working in the book publishing industry helping to promote and spread the creative imagination of talented authors across the world.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!