This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Here’s a little piece about me to perhaps enlighten you on what my faith is really about and what it really is like being a part of this community and culture. Like every religion, there are extremists who do insane things and use their religion to somehow validate the horrific crimes they commit. Unfortunately for Muslims, the media is very prone to painting us (the real Muslims) and the people who claim to be a part of this religion, with one very broad brush. 

First and foremost, followers of Islam know that taking the life of one innocent human being is spiritually equivalent to killing all of mankind. So ISIS, and all the extremists that our news broadcasters talk about, push narratives that are flawed entirely. I mention that because as people, we fear what we do not know and that isn’t something our media mentions as quickly as they do the crimes committed by these terrorists. When acts of terror are committed by people (again, who claim to be Muslim), the entire community is pressured to make a statement and practically scream that they aren’t all like thatthat this crime goes completely against our religion. What other religious communities have you seen do this as often, or at all? None. Because we all know that those crimes do not reflect the entire religion, but for some reason, in America, we have normalized the idea that the word terrorism began, belongs and coincides with Muslims. 

HCM Design

That all being said, being a Muslim in America isn’t exactly the easiest thing to be every day. I used to wear a headscarf (i.e. the hijab) and while I only wore it for a year, the comments made by random strangers, the looks I received when I was in predominantly white areas and the stares were more than most people could take. I have countless stories of people being openly racist towards me and in 2020 that should not be normal. While I took the hijab off for personal reasons (not because the haters got to me), the love I have for my religion that preaches equal rights for all people has only grown.

I’m aware some of you may not know any Muslims or have Muslim friends so here’s some things about me. I love movies, it’s truly embarrassing how much time I spend watching them. I have two pet cats although most of my friends are dog lovers. Skincare and fashion are two subjects that have interested me all my life, and my obsession with books is weird considering no one in my inner circle likes them as much. One fun fact about me that also is the best thing that has ever happened to me, was that I got to meet Mohammed Ali’s daughters at a Muslim convention I attended in 2018. It was only for a second, but Mohammed Ali is one of my biggest role models and inspirations not just for his athletic ability, but because in a time were segregation and Jim Crow was ruining our nation, he also held onto his Muslim identity like no one else I’ve ever seen. 

I know it can be difficult to look at a group and not have any biases about them, but for the sake of us growing as the years go on, we need to stop accepting the first things we hear about people as facts for entire groups. I can comfortably sit here and tell you not all Muslims are like me, but we all believe in a religion that favors kindness and women’s rights and condemns greed and bloodshed. Anyone who tells you differently is lying. 

Niya Ahmed is currently in junior year of college at VCU and hopes to graduate with a bachelors degree in English and a minor in creative writing, at least for now. She is a advocate of furthering her education as well as the education of her peers. She enjoys all things media such as movies, social media apps and music. On any given day you can find her with her headphones in or a book in her hand. Niya has been writing for all her life although it is recently she has began to publish publicly. To find more of Niya follow her Instagram: niyaahmed22 or on Twitter: niya_ahmed18
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!