Virginia Renaissance Faire: Fun in the Stocks, Captain Jack Sparrow, Greyhounds, Jousting, and More!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The long car ride was worth it:  My two friends and I had made it to a gorgeous area at Lake Anna Winery, Spotsylvania which held the Renaissance faire.  There were all sorts of tents and colorful people all around us.  Happy, jolly folk selling corset-type dresses (SO BEAUTIFUL, BUT PROBABLY EXTREMELY TIGHT), handmade leather books, gorgeous hats

and a variety of jewelry and chain mail. 

There were a few sightings of Game of Thrones merchandise (which is awesome).  We traveled all over the rather large faire, stopping near the cute shopping tents, watching jousting events,

and petting some of the greyhounds in the greyhound tent (Seriously! They had a personal greyhound tent.  FUN FACT: Greyhounds became a symbol of the aristocracy and upper class during the Renaissance because they almost became extinct during the Middle Ages), and stopping by to see a variety of shows put on by the people hired by the faire.  There were musicians, fire jugglers, and aerial gymnastics.

We even met Captain Jack Sparrow and Gandalf the Grey! 

The heat during the day was almost unbearable, but the unique and fun atmosphere and the cheerful patrons of the faire helped keep our spirits high.  All in all, I highly recommend visiting some Renaissance faires in the future.  Who knows, you might end up meeting your one and only Robb Stark near the stocks. (and hopefully avoid any Red Wedding-type scenes near any Renaissance-age executioners).

*some pictures are credited to Jill Tremblay

Monica Hunasikatti is currently a student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an African American Studies and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies double major. When she’s not doing her school work, assisting in crushing the patriarchy, or wishing she could speak French, she is reading good literary works, browsing Tumblr, and shopping.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.