This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

*This article was written by a member of the Her Campus VCU staff. Names have been omitted for privacy*

What do I and your favorite brand of olive oil have in common? We’re both extra virgin. But jokes aside, it’s about to get real. 

The news about me being virgin came out in one of the most public ways possible. It was Friday night and a game of Kings was going down at a party. All was laughs and fun until someone drew a jack and the game “never have I ever” began. We all put three fingers in the air and waited for the ridiculous statements to come. First one was something stupid about failing a course, but the second one changed everything. The guy, almost completely drunk, forgot that he had to say something he had not done himself and said, “Never have I ever had sex”. Everyone put down a finger (including him), except me. Just as we were about to move on to the last one, someone pointed out that I did not put a finger down. I nodded proudly and said “Yeah. I’m a virgin.” And just like that, eyes widened and jaws dropped. I was an enigma, a unicorn in the center of the room, a basket case and all for never having sex. 

First, contrary to popular belief, I DID have the chance; I went to high school parties and was home alone just as much as the next person. Every time someone finds out I’m a virgin, his or her next questions are either “Did you never have a boyfriend?” Or “Are you super religious or something?” 

Second, just because I have not had sex that does not mean I am prude.  There is such a thing as in between; not “easy” and not prude, but some people don’t seem to think so.  The only reason I am a virgin is because I simply did not want to have sex.  In high school, the fear of STDs and pregnancy were relevant especially with rumors flowing from lockers to classrooms.   

Third, thank you to the people who found out and went on with their day. It was not breaking news for them nor was it strange. Some even said it was a good thing, but most importantly they never asked for further explanation.  They understood that I just did not want to regret it, considering loosing “it” only happens once.

I never imagined it would be considered strange for someone to be a virgin in college. I am proud to say I am a virgin, and also proud to know that whenever it does happen, it is nobody’s business. Whether it is tomorrow, next year, or even five years from now, it is mine to lose and mine to keep. 

Her Campus VCU Staff Account
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!