Is VCU Team Miley or Team Nicki?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One of the most talked about moments at the 2015 VMAs was when Nicki Minaj called out Miley Cyrus for talking about Nicki in the press. Miley apparently had told reporters that she thought that Nicki was not a nice person. When Nicki was supposed to direct the program back to Miley, she called out Miley’s actions in the press. Quickly reacting, Miley moved on as hostess of the show. The uncensored incident can be seen here. The issue itself was controersial and many people voiced their opinions so what does VCU think about the issue? 100 VCU Students were surveyed on how they felt and this is what we found:

Of the 100, 27% were Team Miley and 73% were Team Nicki. Of those who were Team Miley, many agreed that Nicki was blowing things way out of proportion and what Miley said to the press wasn’t even that bad. One Team Miley member said that Nicki was completely in the wrong to call out Miley, especially right after thanking her pastor. The majority of the sample definitely sided with Nicki saying that Miley had it coming. Some even called Miley racist and said that she needed to be put in her place. Most people did vote by personal biases towards the artists, that is to say, many said that since they were more of a fan of Nicki then they voted Team Nicki. Most opinions were voted based on the reputations of the celebrities- “Nicki is known for being a diva” or “Miley has been known to be an attention seeker.” 

From the surveyed sample, 33% felt that this fiasco was staged while 67% believed that this situation was genuine. Of the 33%, students said that doing so would bring more publicity to both of the celebrities. Media coverage is out of control so some believe that it could very well have been staged; however, the majority of students belive from the audice reaction and the reaction of Miley herself, the incident was indeed real. It seems that many people are disagreeing about whether or not Nicki is actually mean or up front enough to pull this off at the VMAs without it being staged. Some said that Miley’s reaction was sub-par compared to the outspoken Miley we’re all used to, demonstrating that she didn’t have time to prepare an answer? One observant person, however, did notice that Nicki’s microphone was cut immediately after the incident, maybe indicating that this was not staged? 

Do you agree with VCU? 

21 || VBVA || Psychology || FACT@VCUAngie Ellorin is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying Psychology and eventually hopes to pursue a masters in Education. In her free time, Angie enjoy taking naps, watching Gossip Girl, and online shopping. She is the adopted mother of a beautiful African elephant named Elliot. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is meeting and being inspired by all the other empowering young women. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!