VCU Cookie Wars: The Updated Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Red Eye Cookie Co. has been a campus favorite since opening in March 2014; its scrumptious cookies, late hours and unique location make it a prime VCU student snack spot for those late night study sessions and cookie cravings. A couple of months ago, I wrote Red Eye Cookie Co. vs. Campus Cookies: VCU Cookie Wars, but now there is another new cookie joint on campus adding to the competition: Insomnia Cookies. Here’s an updated guide to the VCU Cookie Wars. 

Red Eye Cookie Co.:

Do they deliver? Yes 

Hours:

Sunday – Wednesday: 6 p.m. – 1 a.m.

Thursday – Saturday: 6 p.m. – 2 a.m.

Selection: Red Eye has an array of different kinds of cookies including their signature cookie “The Red Eye” which is a red velvet cookie laced with espresso (so good). Red Eye provides gluten free and vegan cookie options. They also sell milk in various sizes and types, plus they even sell Lamplighter coffee along with some super cool Red Eye gear.  

Wait Time: About 20 to 25 minutes, if you want to wait in the comfort of your dorm room or apartment. I have a little trick for you! You can order the cookies online and go pick them up when they are ready for no extra charge and no long waits in the cold.

Location: Red Eye is located in a cool back alley behind Bookholders and across from the Honors Dorm at 708 W. Grace St.

Campus Cookies:

Campus Cookies was founded by a student at James Madison University back in 2007. Since opening, it has expanded to UVA, VT, ECU and most recently to our very own VCU.

Do they deliver? Yes

Hours:

Sunday – Tuesday:  6 p.m. – 1 a.m.

Wednesday – Thursday: 6 p.m. – 2 a.m.

Friday – Saturday: 6 p.m. – 3 a.m.

Selection: Campus Cookies has a huge selection of cookie flavors to choose from, including some limited edition cookies! They also sell cookie cakes, milk, other drinks, apparel and even ice cream (yum). Gluten free and vegan cookies are also available here. 

Wait Time: About 15 minutes. 

Location: Campus Cookies is located near The Village Cafe at 935 W. Grace St. 

Insomnia Cookies:

Insomnia Cookies was founded in a dorm room in 2003 at the Universtiy of Pennsylvania. They have more than 50 locations including the brand new one on campus!

Do they deliver? Yes

Hours:

Delivery Hours:

Monday – Sunday: 12 p.m. – 3 a.m.

Pick-up Hours:

Monday – Sunday: 11 a.m. – 3 a.m.

Selection: Insomnia Cookies has a huge array of cookies and even sells jumbo cookie cakes. They also sell brownies, ice cream and other frozen treats and milk for the cookies. They have a lot of specials including one just for residence halls.  

Wait time: About 25 to 30 minutes; it depends on the rush and time.  

Location: Insomnia Cookies is actually located almost right across from Campus Cookies at 918 W. Grace St.

Overall, I would say that Red Eye has more of a authentic, super local vibe which is an advantage because people love supporting local businesses, while Campus Cookies and Insomnia Cookies carry more of a commercial vibe. They all have some seriously delicious cookies though and Campus Cookies seems to have a shorter wait time than Red Eye and Insomnia does, while Insomnia’s delivery and pick up hours go later than the other two. 

You be the judge – go out for a late night treat and decide what side you will be on for the VCU Cookie Wars!

Ivy Kenton is a freshman student at Virginia Commonwealth University living in the enchanting city of Richmond, Virginia. Originally from Great Falls in Northern Virginia, she loves living in such a diverse city environment because its so different from the white picket fences she is used to. She is currently undecided but wants to pursue a degree in Mass Communications with a minor in music. She loves to sing, go on long nature walks, shop, her kitten and being around her amazing friends. After college her dream is to live in a big city with a job in public relations and to have singing as a hobby on the side. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!