Understanding and Dealing with Toxic Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Human connection dictates global, international and individual interactions. It is what influences foreign affairs, cultural understanding and personal fulfillment. From allies to confederacies, to friends and acquaintances, humans crave one another. Now, what happens when these relationships prove to be toxic? How can you recognize the warning signs and move forward from these relationships? Here are a few signs of a toxic person/relationship. 

1. They only have time to talk about themselves

Being friends with someone means that there is a mutual agreement to be there for one another. This includes discussion on both sides. If one friend talks about themselves all the time, but does not seem to have time to listen to the other, than they are more than likely a toxic friend.

2. They only focus on flaws

There is a difference between constructive criticism and being consistently negative. If someone is constantly berating you, then they are more than likely a toxic friend.

3. They are not happy at their friend’s accomplishments

Along the same lines, a negative person is going to continue to bring the other down. They are often jealous of their your successes and do not bring them up.

4. They get mad at their friends easily

Toxic friends allow their jealousy to fuel their anger. This can manifest as an effect of success or it can be over little things. Toxic friends constantly and consistently find reasons to be mad you.

5. The relationship causes stress

Friendships should be built on support, but if they are not, they often feel the weight of stress. This can be toxic as it can take time away from your essential tasks and hurt all that are involved.

It is hard to cut ties with people who hold significance in your life. However, it is important to place your mental health above all aspects. If friends are behaving in a toxic manner then it is essential to end that friendship and move on. Do what’s best for you and cut them out.

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Emily Holter is a Freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She studies Mass Communications with a concentration in Print and Online Journalism. She is an avid reader of books, a lover of all things Cher, and a flower enthusiast. Most days, she is tucked away in a coffee shop, sipping on her black coffee and enjoying light conversation.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!