Culture > News

The True Meaning of “No-Shave November”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you don’t happen to live under a rock, you know what “No-Shave November” is. It is that joyous time of year where men all over the country grow epic beards and women flaunt their leg hair for the whole month of November. It is a great time for shameless shorts and tank-top wearing time. However, I hate to shock you but the reason this event exists is not just to give you an excuse to not shave.

“No-Shave November” was a term coined by the Movember Foundation in fall of 2004. Their goal was to simply raise awareness for testicular and colon cancers by not shaving for an entire month. As many chemotherapy patients lose their hair during treatment, the foundation aims to do just the opposite, by having their supporters grow their hair as long and as much as possible in the month and donating the money you would have spent on razors and shaving cream to cancer research.

Any donations you’d like to make can be directed to No-Shave.org where they work with multiple funded organizations such as the Prevent Cancer Foundation, Fight Colorectal Cancer and St. Jude’s Research Hospital.

Breakingpic on Pexels

Although “No-Shave November” is the main title this event is given, there is another version of the event called “Movember,” which is hosted by the same foundation. The only difference being that Movember participants are to grow only mustaches, and No-Shave November participants grow out everything.

Along with not shaving, “Movember” and “No-Shave November” both list in their rules that one acts and conducts themselves like a gentleman. This entails the following: participating in chivalry, holding oneself with poise, and being noble and confident while maintaining your dignity and humility.

It is very important that people understand the true meaning behind this amazing event. The fact that in only 13 years, this project has grown the size it is today is truly astounding, but we cannot lose sight of the ‘why.’

Share this article with your friends and family to educate them. Donate forget to donate that extra money to end cancer in its tracks!

Mary McLean (nee Moody) is an avid writer and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She is currently double majoring in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University. She has published three novels and is working on her fourth. She loves her cats Sully and Remy and will always mention them in every conversation. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging KickStart in the morning with her husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!