The Tradition of Chocolate on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Have you ever wondered where our Valentine’s day traditions come from? Since I can remember, I have been giving and receiving candy, flowers, cards and stuffed animals on Valentine’s day, but why? While there are good stories behind every tradition, the one that caught my interest the most was the tradition of chocolate. 

According to santabarbarachocolate.com, chocolate itself dates back a long time, but the first love-themed box of chocolates ever made was in England by Richard Cadbury. Cadbury was the first to make chocolate affordable to people other than the upper class, while still keeping its rich flavor. Cadbury’s heart-shaped chocolate box was decorated with “signs of romance” like cupid and roses. Cadbury knew that chocolate is an aphrodisiac food, which means that it brings about desire and sexual instinct, which in turn makes people more open to romance. Therefore, he was strategic about advertising his chocolate boxes as a good gift to give to a spouse, partner or anyone that you want to give a romantic gift to. 

In America, Russell Stover and his wife Clara were the first to market heart-shaped boxes of chocolate in 1923. They were also the first company to really link chocolate with romance. Their biggest success was a heart-shaped box of chocolate that was covered in black lace and called the “secret lace heart”. The visual of the boxed combined with the name lead to high sales because it was visually romantic. Russell Stover continues to be a supplier of affordable and quality chocolate today.

Chocolate
Unsplash

Not only does chocolate create desire, but it also has an effect on one’s mood. Chocolate is a natural mood enhancer, so it can be gifted after an argument or anytime that someone’s mood could use lifting. It is especially good on Valentine’s Day because you want the person that you gift the chocolate to be happy and feel good. 

In today’s world, heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are a staple. They are advertised in all sorts of stores, ranging from the Dollar Tree to more expensive, privately-owned chocolatiers. Many companies produce these heart-shaped boxes, not just Cadbury and Stover. Around Valentine’s day, you can find almost every brand and flavor of chocolate in one of those signature, romantic boxes. This tradition has so far lasted over 100 years, so I am confident that it will continue to thrive for many more.

Although the gifting of chocolate on Valentine’s day is an old tradition, it is still a good one. Whether you are gifting chocolate to awaken someone’s desire, to apologize, or to simply elevate someone’s mood, it is a great go-to gift, especially for Valentine’s Day. Lucky for us, chocolate is a staple in our society, so it is affordable and easy to access. Even better, you can now buy vegan and gluten-free chocolate for that special someone in your life that suffers from allergies or has a special diet. Chocolate is the perfect gift for almost anyone, and if you have no one to gift it to, gift it to yourself. You deserve it; happy Valentine’s Day!

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!