This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Richmond is a hotspot for amazing restaurants. Many of them are small businesses as well. It is so important, especially during a pandemic, that we help out the Richmond restaurant community by supporting their businesses. If you have a sweet tooth, these spots in Richmond will satisfy all your sugar cravings and also boost small businesses. Here are the top five best dessert spots in Richmond.

Whisk

Location: 2100 E Main St

If you’re looking for a delicious, house-made macaron, look no further than Whisk. Whisk is a bakery located in Shockoe Bottom. It is the epitome of a classic neighborhood coffee shop. The employees are always warm and helpful. In addition to macarons, they have cakes, cookies, croissants and eclairs. Grab a coffee or matcha latte (my favorite) to go with your dessert. This place is a hidden gem in Richmond that deserves to be in the spotlight. 

Gelati Celesti

Location: 1400 N. Arthur Ashe Boulevard 

Ice cream so heavenly you’ll be taking a pint to go. Gelati Celesti started out with just one location in the West End but has since expanded to eight locations in Richmond and Virginia Beach. Their ice cream is absolutely amazing and you will have over a dozen flavors to choose from. Gelati Celesti also offers cakes, cookie sandwiches and milkshakes. The closest location to the VCU campus is in Scott’s Addition. Check it out!

Coco + Hazel

Location: 411 N Ridge Rd

The best spot in Richmond for crazy milkshakes. If you can’t decide whether you want cake, ice cream or a drink, why not get them all in one? Note that you will need to enlist some friends if you want to finish one of these giant milkshakes. The Blackout shake is perfect for chocolate lovers. Be sure to take a picture of whatever crazy milkshake you end up getting because it is sure to get some attention on Instagram. In addition to milkshakes, Coco + Hazel has ice cream, coffee, pastries and hot chocolate. They are also known for having special milkshakes for holidays. The choices are plenty and all-around amazing.

Shyndigz

Location: 1831 West Cary Street

Shyndigz is a Richmond classic. People rave about their cakes and for good reason. Although their restaurant is currently closed for COVID safety, their to-go market next door is open. There you can get choose from a wide variety of cakes and pies. Some favorites include Salted Chocolate Caramel Cake and Fresh Fruit Cake. There are gluten-free options as well! They also have an adorable gift shop for all your celebration needs and filled with locally made goods. Be sure to check their monthly cake calendar for the cake du jour.

Moonrocks Gelato

Location: 2400 West Main Street

Another hidden gem in Richmond that offers unique gelato and waffles. Their waffles are warm and soft, and their ice cream flavors are inspired. It’s a perfect mix of sweet and savory. You can get ice cream, a waffle and ice cream or ice cream sandwiches on a brioche bun. There are so many different options to choose from that you can come a million times and get something different each time. With all the restaurants surrounding this ice cream shop, it’s the perfect place to come for dessert after dinner.

Mackenzie is a VCU student studying Mass Communications and Fashion Merchandising. She loves all things fashion, watching reality TV, and her two cats.
VCU Contributor Account